Algae growing on leaves of anubias nanas, is this a bad thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleykw

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm starting to get a hang of this aquarium business and recently added some anubius nanas to my 10g. Lately I've been experience a rapid and consistent growth of algae after adding a single root tablet for these plants, and now they seem to be growing it all over the leaves. I've noticed the plants have stopped growing as well. I was careful not to bury the rhizome. Is the algae growing on the leaves a bad thing? Any recommendations for algae control?

I have:
1 dwarf gourami
2 male platies
2 ADFs

Temp is 86F and salt is approx 1 - 1.5 tsp/gal due to ich treatment (recent breakout due to new addition of gourami and platy)

I was wondering if the salt was damaging them but I think the salinity isn't too high to damage, they've survived well with a constant 0.75tsp/gal salinity until the algae takeover.

Between the salt and the temp yes bad for the plants. When plants struggle for whatever reason algae is waiting and starts to appear almost immediately. If you are doing temp treatment you do not need to do salt as well. A double whammy for the plants. The temp at 86 should be enough. But also temp that high is also not good for the plants. I would if possible lessen the photoperiod and intensity if possible during the time so you are not forcing them into high gear. Less lights means less chance for algae but keep obviously enough for the plants. Plan is to slow them down just a bit during this hard time.

Back
Top Bottom