Algae growing on light cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewTanker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! We have a 10g dirted tank with live plants. Inhabitants consist of 8 neon tetras, 2 pepper Corys, 2 panda Corys, and 2 RCS. The tank looks great, water is clear, fish and plants look healthy.....

The issue is, every week when we do our PWC, we have to clean algae off of the plastic cover on the lights. Is this normal? It seems to be the only place it is growing. It's not a HUGE deal, it cleans easily, but it's really annoying.

Any help would be appreciated!

How long are your lights on? I had a similar issue and I just cut lights to 7 hrs a day and it's pretty much gone.

We usually have the lights on for about 8 hours, maybe I should cut it back. It doesn't touch the water, but it does get condensation built up on it.

Well it may not be condensation, I think the water splashes it a little from the air stone and filter. And yes, one air stone. I have just noticed that it is a little damp when I open the lid.

The air from the air stone will cause algae growth on the cover. It supplies the algae with fresh air and water. Then their is a light nearby so it's the perfect place for algae to grow. If you take the air stone out and don't have any air coming up it will help a little or you can just occasionally wipe the algae off. I have the same problem on my glass canopy. Except I have sponge filters, not air stones.

Ok, great info. I will just keep cleaning it off since it isn't very troublesome.

Back
Top Bottom