Algae id and help :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
Like the title say what is this stuff and how do I get rid of it?

image-872357869.jpg

That isn't algae, it's cyanobacteria, which some people call blue-green algae. I suggest vacuuming as much of it out of the tank as possible and then treat the tank with Maracyn, which is erythromycin. This 5 day treatment will kill all the bacteria and won't harm your BB. It is often found in tanks that have a nitrate count under 10ppms.

That isn't algae, it's cyanobacteria, which some people call blue-green algae. I suggest vacuuming as much of it out of the tank as possible and then treat the tank with Maracyn, which is erythromycin. This 5 day treatment will kill all the bacteria and won't harm your BB. It is often found in tanks that have a nitrate count under 10ppms.

My nitrate is right at 10 lol I have maracyn plus is that the Same thing?

The only thing my lfs has is this stuff for Cyanobacteria since that's what it is hopefully it works.

Look on the active ingredient list and see if it says Erythromycin. If not it won't work. You can get any brand of Erythromycin, it doesn't have to be Maracyn brand but it has to be Erythromycin. It's just easy to use the Maracyn since it's a powder.

Look on the active ingredient list and see if it says Erythromycin. If not it won't work. You can get any brand of Erythromycin, it doesn't have to be Maracyn brand but it has to be Erythromycin. It's just easy to use the Maracyn since it's a powder.

It does not contain erythromycin. I just ordered maracyn. I'm going to use the one I bought since its going to be a week before it gets here at least. I already siphoned the other bacteria out I still have a lot on the plants though. Thank you for your help.

The erythromycin will be here tomorrow. I got enough for 3 doses. I mixed a separate bottle of potassium nitrate and will start out dosing an additional 3 ml of it a day. Will this solve my problem because the Cyanobacteria is going crazy right now? And what would you recommend my target nitrate and phosphate levels to be?

In a planted tank a nitrate level of 10-20ppm and phosphates .5-1.5ppm is a good range to aim for.

How long after dosing erythromycin does it take to kill the Cyanobacteria?

It should mostly be died off by the 5th day of Erythromycin treatment. Any left should continue to die. But you have to treat 5 days.

It should mostly be died off by the 5th day of Erythromycin treatment. Any left should continue to die. But you have to treat 5 days.

I have to order more :-( I only have enough for 4 treatments

I was reading on the causes of Cyanobacteria and it said poor circulation was a cause also and the only place it is at is the front of the tank with a piece of driftwood blocks flow. Would placing my spraybar from my filter at the top back left pointing at a 15 degree angle downward and my powerhead on the front top right facing the same angle downward create better circulation. It would make it a big circle of flow right? Thanks for the help I am new to planted tanks and am learning the hard way :-(

Even experienced hobbiest have Cyano issues sometimes. You can try adjusting your flow but keeping nitrates at least at 10ppm is important in keeping it at bay.

Back
Top Bottom