Algae ID/solution Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orcus332

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my tank running for about 2 months now since it has cycled. I'm starting to run into some issues with a few different types of algae, and I would like them cleared up.
The dark green algae that is attached to the driftwood and is very dense, isn't so much of a problem. I had snails that would clear that problem, but the puffers have since eaten all the snails!
The loose green "hairy" algae is a problem however. It seems to be attaching to all my plants, especially the tops of them. It is slimy to the touch and is very lightly attached to the plants. I can actually rinse it off the plants using a hard enough stream of water. What are they, and what can I do to prevent the growth of these two algaes???

Thanks!!!

Tank Parameters:
12:12 light cycle
NH3/4 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 20
Temp = 77
pH = 7.4
Substrate = 2/3 eco-complete, 1/3 tah. moon sand
Weekly 50% water changes
2 dwarf puffers, 1 ghost shrimp

Attachments

• algae1_791.jpg
    algae1_791.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 36
  • algae2_130.jpg
    algae2_130.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 37
Hair algae and staghorn algae (in order).
Staghorn algae:
"Clean tank.
Use a hair Comb, brush your hair grass often.
Trim/mow the hair grass, cut to 1-2 inches, it will grow back just like your lawn.

Keep the tank clean and do water changes after you do large pruning, over feed etc.

Remove as much as you can and trim it all off.
It's inducible from uprooting large plants, adding too many fish, NH4."

Hair algae:
On gravel turn over top 1 inch and bury it. Check plants thoroughly and prune infected leaves (they will grow back). Once established, proper fert levels will not rid you of it.

Are you dosing PO4??????

I am not dosing any fertilizers. I also do not believe that the algae I am referring to in algae1.jpg is staghorn. It is the algae that is growing on the surface of the driftwood that I am interested in, not what is attached to the java moss. Is there a good way to rid my tank of the algae shown in algae.2? Thanks for you help.

Algae 1 on the drift wood looks like Cyano to me...
Algae 2 could be hair, or bursh.

Without any other information, I'd assum you need to dose something-be it PO4 or NO3 I can't be sure.
You could try a 4 day blackout to kill off what's there, but I'm guessing it'll grow back unless you get your levels in order.

If you can get NO3 and PO4 levels we may be able to help more.

Back
Top Bottom