ALGAE Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mackdaddy81

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here are some pics of my brown algae. I don't know if it is Diatoms or BBA. It keeps getting worse and I have tried everthing. I decreased my lighting from 13 hours to 10, I have been keeping my nutrients balanced ( about 1ppm Phosphates, 15 ppm Nitrates, about 20 ppm Potassium, and about 15 ppm magnesium) Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Sorry about the picture size. I couldn't figure out how to make it bigger.

Looks like diatom algae to me. If people click on the picture the size is increased so don't worry about size.

If it brushes off easily, then it's Diatoms and should go away on it's own after awhile. If it is difficult to remove, then you're probably dealing with BBA and will probably need to take a look at your CO2 levels and/or Water Change methods/schedule.

It brushed off easily, so I am pretty sure it is diatoms. I have read that they are common in new tanks, but my tank is about a year old. What else could be casuing it, and will it still go away on its own?

Thanks!

It's diatoms. It will eventually go away. Add an extra filter cleaning, that may help. If you get tired of dealing with it you can filter out enough for them to die off. I've used a Magnum HOT with the paper filter coated with diatomaceous earth and there are filters FOR diatoms. They will "bloom" any time conditions are right. Look 'em up on Wikipedia.

Diatoms feed on sylicates. A bloom can be caused by adding new substrate or decoration that has a high level of sylicates, or if the water concentrations have gone up recently.

I just changed my substrate about a month ago, so that is probably it. Any Idea how long it will take to go away?

Back
Top Bottom