Algae is getting bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vromanowski

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Mobile%20Photo%20May%209%2C%202010%207%2031%2032%20PM.jpg

I've spent a lot of time searching for pictures of different types of algae, and I think it's Staghorn Algae.. but I'm really not sure so if someone could ID it for me that'd be great.

It started showing up about two months ago, I've been the time I keep the light on and I've been doing partial water changes more frequently, but it just seems to keep growing faster and faster!

Yeah, that looks like staghorn. Pick it off by twirling it around an old toothbrush and try to correct your nutrient balance.

Looks like staghorn to me too. If there isn't alot of flow to that area, try adding a powerhead. I got staghorn in low flow areas of the tank. I think that just helps it grow...a nutrient imbalance is likely what caused it. Are you dosing any fertilizers? How much light, how big a tank, and how densely is your tank planted?

it's a 35g bowfront, t5ho 36w, it's got ~5 plants, and once in a while i dose nutrients (i haven't for a couple weeks tho) - would dosing help or hurt?

To be honest, I would probably add a ton more plants. Then you can start a dosing regime. Algae is usually a nutrient imbalance, adding more will probably make things worse. Are you adding any CO2?

I'd second adding more flow. I has some staghorn issues and it disappeared when I moved the filter.

I was doing a DIY co2 but I didn't notice a different in plant growth so I don't think it's mixing into the water well enough, and i have a HOB filter so there's probably too much surface agitation?

HOBs with a loose-fitting hood will off-gas the CO2. I've found that VersaTops do a much better job of keeping the CO2 in the tank with HOBs.

I second adding more plants....and to increase flow you could add a small powerhead. I like the Koralia nano and I have one in 2 of my planted tanks. It's small so it won't take up alot of room in the tank.

If you are running a HOB with your CO2 set up then I would make something to lessen the 'splash' effect of it. I originally had some polyfiber tied underneath the outflow so that it would just trickle down into the water but I didn't like it as it caught food in it. I now have a piece of lexan that basically just extends the outflow of the HOB to the point where it almost touches the surface. This creates no splashing/bubbles. Seems to be working great for me, still seeing pearling on almost all my plants except my swords and lace plant.

Maybe add some algae eaters like Shrimps?

Or just (if u have one) point your filter output into the algae area

hmm thanks for all the ideas guys, i'm gonna try everything and hopefully it clears up!

Try to point your filter output into that algae area...?

Back
Top Bottom