Algae issues...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the help! I will give the HP a try this afternoon and see how it goes. I assume this is going to take more than one treatment, so I'll update as we go.

Thanks!!!

Grrr... so I am now 2 doses in with no change. Should I try another? What imbalances could cause this algae, and would fixing that imbalance get rid of it?

Test results as of last saturday:
Temp: 76.8°F
pH: 6.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10
Phosphates: 0
GH: 9
KH: 3
CO2 (Calculated): 35.83

Does anything seem outa whack? I can get new test results out later today as I am due for a PWC and another round of testing.

Thanks again!

Everything seems to be ok. You can try another dose of HP. Try just a little heavier dose if you are spot treating.

Your phosphates have bottomed out according to those results. Without Phosphates, the plants can't make use of the Nitrates. This imbalance could definately be part of the problem.

Your phosphates have bottomed out according to those results. Without Phosphates, the plants can't make use of the Nitrates. This imbalance could definately be part of the problem.

What should phosphates be at? I am assuming if I get that corrected, then the algae should starve out?

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, it should be around 10:1, Nitrates:phosphates. So it should be around 1-2ppm Phosphates if your Nitrates are at around 10ppm.

The recommended ratio is 1ppm Phosphate to 10-20ppm Nitrates. I actually find that I have better luck using a ratio closer to 1ppm Phosphate to 5ppm Nitrates.

i thought a high phosphate levels were a cause of algae growth...
am i wrong or is that number very low so it doesnt really cause an algae bloom

No, that's not too high for phosphates in a planted tank. You need enough phosphates so the nitrates can be used. If not, then you'll get algae because the phosphates dropped out and excess nitrates. Plants can't use nitrates alone.

The higher the light, the more delicate the dance, lol. Should have seen me when I had 520W on my 75G, lol. It was insane, lol. Not doing that anymore, lol.

where do I find out how much to put on anc can I just dump it in the tank since it is EVERYWHERE!!!

I know i need to get he correct dose of course. I think it stemmed from my c02 setup not working right for a couple weeks

I have this type... whats in the back.... right to the bottom righ tof the red plant :(
bga.jpg

Back
Top Bottom