Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Algae issues

I have a planted aquarium that close with liquid ferts once a week and liquid carbon 4 times a week yet I still seem to get quite a lot of algae.

Any suggestions to help reduce it would be greatly appreciated.

The light is on for 9 hours currently would reducing this period make much of a difference without affecting my plants?

Old 12-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Exact light model?
Tank size? (height as well)
Exact fertilizer and how much/when you dose?
Exact carbon source you dose and how much/when?
Water change schedule?
Fish load?
What type of algae?
Nitrate levels?
Flow in the tank?

Edit: solving algae issues is a personal task, what works for me may or may not work for someone else. Giving my the info above will narrow how I can help, but algae is caused by an imbalance of light/CO2/plant growth which is up to you to experiment with until solved.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I figured that would be the case but I'm fairly new to the whole planted tank thing so any pointers would be good. My plants are growing well but so is the algae

The light is a 30 watt led by Ciano (came with the tank)
Tank is 200 litres and 61cm high
I use easy life pro fito ferts at 18ml per week
Easy life carbon at 3ml Mon, wed, Fri and Sun.
30-40% water change weekly
Stocking is juvenile gold severum, 3 juvenile Angeles, redtail black shark and 6 cherry barbs.
General green algae? Growing on the surface of decorations
Last week the nitrates were 10ppm before a water change
There are three pumps running circulating water. One top level, one mid level and one low level.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitekat87 View Post
Yeah I figured that would be the case but I'm fairly new to the whole planted tank thing so any pointers would be good. My plants are growing well but so is the algae

The light is a 30 watt led by Ciano (came with the tank)
Tank is 200 litres and 61cm high
I use easy life pro fito ferts at 18ml per week
Easy life carbon at 3ml Mon, wed, Fri and Sun.
30-40% water change weekly
Stocking is juvenile gold severum, 3 juvenile Angeles, redtail black shark and 6 cherry barbs.
General green algae? Growing on the surface of decorations
Last week the nitrates were 10ppm before a water change
There are three pumps running circulating water. One top level, one mid level and one low level.
Do you know the kelvin rating of the light? Normal green algae is pretty much impossible to stop, you can suppress it by having perfect growing conditions for plants, (high CO2, high nutrients, high light) but that's basically it.

The general cause (likely yours) is a color spectrum not perfect for plants, this allows some wiggle room for algae to sneak in. How much plant mass do you have?
Old 12-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I read it was 6500

This is the tank with the current plant stocking. This was when it was first set up a couple of weeks ago (Two cycled filters were brought over from the old tank so it isn't newly cycled)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171203_131354.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	305578  
Old 12-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
Do you know the kelvin rating of the light? Normal green algae is pretty much impossible to stop, you can suppress it by having perfect growing conditions for plants, (high CO2, high nutrients, high light) but that's basically it.

The general cause (likely yours) is a color spectrum not perfect for plants, this allows some wiggle room for algae to sneak in. How much plant mass do you have?
No I was wrong. Just found this review by practical fish keeping magazine...
The lighting (included) is an LED strip of 30W, with fierce output. My PAR meter has gone awol, but anecdotally speaking, it looks punchy as anything, in a crisp, clean 9000 Kelvin looking temperature. Itís sharp white, not yellowed, violet or blue.*
Old 12-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmm, maybe too much light + not enough CO2 + not enough plant mass to out-compete algae.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the help. I think I'm gonna reduce the photo period and up the carbon dose. The instructions say dose the carbon everyday but I was a little worried about the oxygen levels in the tank if I did that. So I've been dosing half the carbon but fully dosing the ferts, maybe that's where I've gone wrong
Old 12-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #9
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitekat87 View Post
Thanks for the help. I think I'm gonna reduce the photo period and up the carbon dose. The instructions say dose the carbon everyday but I was a little worried about the oxygen levels in the tank if I did that. So I've been dosing half the carbon but fully dosing the ferts, maybe that's where I've gone wrong
Dosing a carbon source has zero effect on O2 levels in the tank. It should in theory increase the O2 level in your tank, more plant growth = more O2. It's not CO2, it's likely a glutaraldehyde based product.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea Iíd say the lighting is too strong and not enough co2. That light looks extremely bright by the looks of the top of the plants. Reducing photo period should help but may not either.

Have you ever thought about going down the pressurised co2 route? Iíd double dose the easy carbo and see if that helps over the next few weeks and see if that helps. Try and remove as much by hand as once itís there it wonít leave by itself

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com