algae killing products?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A little better?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110524_190214.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110524_190214.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 148
The other one came up to the front!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110524_190803.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110524_190803.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 126
  • ForumRunner_20110524_190824.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110524_190824.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 133
So of this is a true SAE then why aren't they eating the algae?

I also never got an answer about corys eating algae. (It got swallowed by all my other questions) :)

Are there TRUE SAE and NOT True SAE? I took pictures of two different ones so maybe one is and one is not? They like to be by eachother (they are always laying across eachother). How to ottos do as far as algae?

I am gong to ask this question... what is the best over all algae eating fish? I want it to be an algae eating machine lol

I would say otos but I am completely against buying fish to control algae. Find out the underlying problem and fix the issue. Algae eaters can get tired of algae and soon want supplements. Some of the CAE's will actually stop eating algae when they grow out and start sucking on other fish's sides.

What about Nerite snails...they wont breed in FW and wont eat ur plants....I have 2 in with my betta and they cleaned the algae of the plants in there in no time!

Cobaltskyy said:
What about Nerite snails...they wont breed in FW and wont eat ur plants....I have 2 in with my betta and they cleaned the algae of the plants in there in no time!

Please tell me more about nerite snailes :) they sound like a good option. I wouldn't even mind snails that did breed (as long as my tank was not covered with them)

Here's a better link for IDing SAEs

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?192330-Calling-All-Siamese-Algae-Eater-Owners!

They are not going to be eating much algae if they have plenty of other food, they will eat fish food.

I did notice that mine stopped eating algae as often as they did when they were juveniles.

Ramshorn snails are pretty good at algae control but their population size is directly linked to how much excess food they receive.

No matter what you choose to do the most important thing for algae control is to limit the algae growth, otherwise there isn't much that will keep up with it.

My algae is not really that bad. I have to clean the glass every few days, my plants are the only thing really suffering from the wrath of the algae. The algae seems to grow on the leaves of the plants and basically deprive them of light. I hate rubbing the leaves to get the algae off. More than half the time I will damage the leaves while rubbing them. So I thought that snails/ fish could do this much more gently. Any other options? I am fine with snails as long as they are not really big.
Is there a good way for me to remove the algae from the plant leaf?

Last edited:
This kind....

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110525_151324.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110525_151324.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 56
Does it wipe off easily? That kind of looks like diatoms but I'm not sure it could be staghorn or something.

What was your lighting setup/schedule like? You probably mentioned it already but I really don't want to browse 6 pages to find it :D

I have one glo T5HO with 2 39 Watt bulbs, I also have a marineland reef compatable led 36 Watt. They are on a timer and stay on for 10 hours a day. I have pressurized co2 and I dose with pps pro. Does that answer the question?

Back
Top Bottom