algae killing products?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im no expert but the snails are awesome algae eaters. I have two in each of my (3) 10 gal tanks and they are spotless, I had a ton of brown algae on the tops of some of my tall fake plants and they cleaned them right up. They are super easy to take care of and fun to watch! I had no idea how quick they could cruise along! LOL

Cobaltskyy said:
Im no expert but the snails are awesome algae eaters. I have two in each of my (3) 10 gal tanks and they are spotless, I had a ton of brown algae on the tops of some of my tall fake plants and they cleaned them right up. They are super easy to take care of and fun to watch! I had no idea how quick they could cruise along! LOL

What kind of snails? I also have that brownish algae.

I have one glo T5HO with 2 39 Watt bulbs, I also have a marineland reef compatable led 36 Watt. They are on a timer and stay on for 10 hours a day. I have pressurized co2 and I dose with pps pro. Does that answer the question?
What size tank? How heavily planted is it? Sounds like an awful lot of light, although i don't know of any PAR testing done on the new marineland LED fixtures.

At least I think it is brown algae

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110525_152751.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110525_152751.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 104
It is a 40 gallon high tank. It is probably medium planted. Here is a picture.... (fort ranks it at 'high' light)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110525_153007.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110525_153007.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 95
Looks great. I like that LED strip. I think you have way too much light going on, though. Have you tried cutting it back, maybe turning off the t5ho's completely for a while? Just to see how it does.

When you go into the high light area it can be a constant battle with algae, and at some point it's not manageable at all because the amount of co2 and ferts you'd need to compensate would not be healthy for any livestock.

Were is a good place to get them? Does PETCO or petsmart have them?

What name would the lfs have them under? Is there a common name?

Hmmmm not sure on that, I know there are green nerites, brown nerites and zebra nerites. Don't know of any other name but nerite? Maybe someone else on here knows..... :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom