Algae on plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayoshow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what this is on my moneywort and how to get rid of it?

6gal Fluval Edge w stock filtration plus a Purigen bag, stock lighting, been running for over a year.

Stock:
5 neon tetra
2 otos
3 ghost shrimp
3 larger assassin snails, modest population of tiny ones come and go.

pH 7.6
Ammonia- .25 ppm (same reading as tap, I've never gotten lower reading)
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5-10ppm

Using Flourish Excel daily at recommended dosage.
Weekly water change 50%
Using Flourish comprehensive for ferts

Plants:
Bacopa carolinia
Anubas nana
Moneywort
Water wisteria
Italian val
Some leafy mossy stuff?
An unknown stem plant

Everything seems to be growing fine. But that ugly stuff will ruin everything I'm sure if I don't get it down. IMG_1483728267.274262.jpgIMG_1483728279.087476.jpgIMG_1483728289.743606.jpg

Those stem plants are pretty fast growing. As a result the excel added at recommended dosing levels may be used up quickly resulting in a carbon deficiency. There may be other causes of course. If you can't lower the light to alleviate the plants thirst for carbon I would consider adding more excel as a first trouble shooting method. Excel normally turns this kind of algae pink until it does off the fact that the algae is still black could indicate that the plants are using the carbon up so quickly that the contact time isn't long enough to have an effect on the algae.

Try this first and we can take it from there.

I agree with Caliban. Also, you can try using a needle-less syringe (I got mine at a pharmacy), turn off the filters, and squirt 1 ml directly onto the worst patches. Wait fifteen minutes and turn the filters back on. I've found this effective at treating the worst patches.

Every last leaf on about 12 different stems of moneywort turned to mush, had to remove all of them. There were 2 left unscathed, they happen to be away from the filter return where the others were, I wonder if their location in front of the return stressed them? I hate that because I really liked the look of the moneywort. But I have replaced it with something I found in my neighborhood lake, sterilized and planted last night.

Back
Top Bottom