Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So do just wipe it off or do you take decorations out and rinse them off?

I have more plants than decorations, but I do take out the decorations and wipe them off too. All of my decorations are ceramic and I can easily wipe the diatoms off. Not sure if they would come off with just rinsing though.

Otto's would certainly clear that up in due time, but you have to consider their nutritional needs after it's all gone. I feed mine blanched zucchini on a vegetable clip and grow algae on smooth rocks in a clear container in sunlight and rotate the stones as they clean them.

Just make sure your water parameters will support them. They're skittish fish, but adapt in a peaceful community tank after a short period. The moment I dropped mine in the tank, my angelfish went after them; they're pretty small fish. Once the angelfish realized they weren't edible and couldn't even catch them, they gave up. After 3 days the Otto's were hanging out with all of the fish during feeding time and nibble on the algae wafers for the Cory's.

Zevyn said:
Otto's would certainly clear that up in due time, but you have to consider their nutritional needs after it's all gone. I feed mine blanched zucchini on a vegetable clip and grow algae on smooth rocks in a clear container in sunlight and rotate the stones as they clean them.

Just make sure your water parameters will support them. They're skittish fish, but adapt in a peaceful community tank after a short period. The moment I dropped mine in the tank, my angelfish went after them; they're pretty small fish. Once the angelfish realized they weren't edible and couldn't even catch them, they gave up. After 3 days the Otto's were hanging out with all of the fish during feeding time and nibble on the algae wafers for the Cory's.

I am also going to be getting a bulldog pleco. And adding two small pieces of driftwood as well. Will that be good. And as far as other fish I have 5 serpaes 5 black skirts 5 xray and 5 bloodfin. All tetras and will be increasing the school size to 8 or 10. More leaning to just bumping the schools to 8.

Back
Top Bottom