Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Namar

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have finally set up a nicely planted 20gal but now I'm having an algae problem spreading on my driftwood and onto my plants. Pleco can't seem to keep up with it either. Not sure what to do so I am open to some advice before I throw it in a put and boil it. Some well established Java fern is on it and damaged it once when I pulled it out to scrape off some algae.

I do have a UV steriliser but haven't put it in because the algae is on the surface of wood and plants and not so much a green water problem. Should I use it and is there anything else I can do without having to kill my fern?uploadfromtaptalk1426456469289.jpg

For one I know plecos aren't very efficient algae eaters. There are some extremely knowledgeable plant guys here, to help them for starters what are your lights and lighting schedule, as well as water parameters.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's BBA. Check your phosphates, do water changes, and you can spot treat it with Excel or hydrogen peroxide in a syringe. Do it with your filters off to give it more contact time, then turn the filters on after a little bit. It'll turn red then start turning grey/white and die off.

The spot treatment is a bandaid though. As was said, your lighting schedule and the amount of phosphates are what will fix the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you, I don't know all my parameters all I have is a pH tester. I think the lighting schedule is fine, it's on timer 8am-12:30, 5-9:30.

Let's say it's a phosphate issue, what can I do? I already have stopped adding Flourish for a few weeks now and the spread has slowed but I want a permanent solution.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What type of lighting are you using and how many hours of the day are they on? What is your fert schedule?
Here is an interesting discussing of BBA and its cause. Depending on the lighting it may be a CO2 deficiency. I bump up my phosphate to around 5 ppm to deal with GSA (green spot algae). http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50937

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom