Algae problem in my planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samahabou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my new tank is setup as a planted tank and it been cycling for Almost 5 days now but I have rocks in the tank and I start mention the hair type of algae build up on my rock I have normal led lights nothing fancy but I'm not sure what i did wrong I also forget to mention I have diy co2 setup and I dose the API leaf product for my plants once per day and I condition the water and the tank not directed to the sun so any advice ???

Are you doing a fishless cycle using ammonia? How long are you running lighting daily? Only run them 6 hours max when having an algae problem. During cycling you don't want or need to use a fertilizer for plants. Plus if your using API Leaf Zone you don't use it daily. This can be adding excess nutrients that are causing problems. What plants do you have in the tank? The type of plants determines the type of fertilizers they need. Plus you have to follow the recommended amounts as per the instructions on the ferts you do use.

Yes I'm cycling my tank without fish but I never use any ammonia also I use to run my light 24/7 because I didn't know that I need to turn the light off the plants I have is amazon sword and some plants similar to baby tears for carpet shape that I'm trying to get

Your tank isn't cycling if your not using ammonia. Here are two articles to read that will get your started...

Tips and Tricks For Your Fastest Fishless Cycle! - Aquarium Advice

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Only run lighting for the time I mentioned and stop dosing the ferts for now. The Amazon Sword needs to have root tabs as it is a heavy root feeder. If you only have stock LED's you have low light which will not be intense enough to grow dwarf baby tears. You need to do some research on low light plants that will grow in your tank lighting. Anubia's, Java Ferns, Bolbitus, Crypts, Jungle Val, Water Sprite, and Pennywort would all do will in a low light tank.

Back
Top Bottom