algae still

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I know I have posted multiple times about this but I guess I am having issues understanding or I am stubborn or I dont know, but I still need help with this :mad::)

29gall has algae, like diatoms (though the tank has been set up since thanksgiving) as well as some other dark colored algae that is on some of the substrate and plants. I would take a pic but the camera is being a pain and not cooperating...
I finally have some money to work with and would like to do something about it. I plan to order some flourish potasium, nitrogen, trace elements and some equilibrium and root tabs. I know I need CO2 but the DIY thing has not proved to work to well for me :( I have 2x2litter bottles and its not producing any CO2 and I just re-made the recipe, and last time it worked the plants didnt show any change. The lighting is CF 65watt 10,000k and T5 18watt 10,000k and anctic. My bioload is fairly light with 3x coryadoras (got three and can not find any more of the species), 6x glolight tetra, 3x cherry barb, 3x otto. I have eco-complete as substrate. please help, my tank is looking neglected though I do 20% WC once a week and do everything I know what to do so far and nothing is working.

I really don't know what to tell you, perhaps you have too much light over not enough CO2?

You could try to scrape it all out and leave the lights off for a few days (and cover the tank so absolutely no light gets in. I have no idea if it will work but Ive seen it suggested.

2 X 2L bottles not producing? Are they in a cold room? You may have to purchase newer yeast.

You 'plan' to purchase some ferts, but what are you dosing now? (if you have already anwswered this in another thread, please just link me to it)

What about Excel?

CO2 is the reason for your problems. Having around 3 WPG of CF and T5 over your tank, needs CO2.

Special Notes:
Providing optimal CO2 levels of at least 30 ppm are necessary for plants to prosper. If algae issue arise, remove all visible algae and infected leaves. Recheck CO2 levels, and possibly reduce and adjust the lighting period.

John N and Tom Barr"

You can read more about it @ www.barrreport.com .

I do dose excel, roughly every day. No other ferts, thats why I need to order some... I am still fairly new to the high light end of things... thanks for hte help again :)

No need to thank me! you have helped others as well. Isn't that why we are here? (besides, what have I done to solve your problem? :D )

BTW, I meant to include a website for algae to help you ID what you have.

Here it is:

Aquarium Algae ID (updated)

What are your Nitrate and Phosphate levels (assuming you have tests for both) and what kits are you using? Most likely with that much light and Excel, one or more nutrients are bottoming out. Getting your ferts ordered asap and on a good fert routine will go a long ways towards straightening out your aquarium.

Great article neilanh! That helped me to identify an algae (Cladophora) that's been plaguing one of my aquariums lately. Too bad it's so hard to get rid of. At least now I know what to call the pest.

I dont have phosphate tests... though I could get one

the algae looks like it could be green beard algae, hair or fuzz algae. I am not sure...
thanks for all the help... I will get the ferts ordered ASAP

My green Fuzz and hair algae reduced drastically when I got the phosphate under control ( I was over dosing it and already had enough in my water)

It's well worth the test!

If you're going to buy a phosphate kit, then the Seachem one is highly recommended. It's slightly more expensive than other hobby grade kits, but rivals the professional grade kits for accuracy and is easy to use.

If you're going to buy a phosphate kit, then the Seachem one is highly recommended. It's slightly more expensive than other hobby grade kits, but rivals the professional grade kits for accuracy and is easy to use.
thanks for the heads up! I plan to make the order today or tomorrow, whichever the mother allows :D

I place my order

Flourish Excel 250 ml $3.69

Flourish Potassium 250 ml $3.99 x 1

Flourish Trace 250 ml $3.99 x 1

Equilibrium 600 grams $8.99 x 1

Flourish Tabs 10 tabs $5.49 x 2

Nitrogen 250 ml $3.99 x 1

Phosphate Test Kit 150 Tests $7.79 x 1

Substitute Flourish "Comprehensive" for the Flourish Trace. Flourish Trace while called a trace fertilizer, actually isn't very good in that role.

Back
Top Bottom