Algae take over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tim_s

Aquarium Advice Regular
Algae take over,

Pretty suddenly I have had an algae attack as shown below:

8245005079_994fc382ca_b.jpg

I have been under fertilizing I.e. upping the rate weekly to get to the recommended amounts for EI dosing. Plant growth just went mad and then the algae took over.

I can answer any questions to assist in helping.

What size tank?

What type of lighting do you have and how long do you leave it on?

Do you inject CO2?

How heavily planted is the tank?

2 giesemann Daylight
1 giesemann Antic white
1 giesemann coralife
That's three full spectrum bulbs. Not sure what you mean by the fourth one, "CoraLife" is a different brand than Giesemann.
That is a lot of light. What is your photoperiod?

How is your CO2 doing? Do you have a drop checker?

Using a sump on a CO2 injected tank is kind of counter-productive. Way too much gas off going on.

What ferts are you dosing?

How high is your Nitrate and Phosphate?

Are you sticking to the strict regimen that EI requires?

That's three full spectrum bulbs.

Correct it is a lot of light.

Not sure what you mean by the fourth one, "CoraLife" is a different brand than Giesemann.

My apologies, I am not near the tank right now but I believe it contains the word "flora" in the name. All bulbs have been made by Giesemann, however, I am forgetting the one product name.

That is a lot of light.

It is -- understandable it should be reduced.

What is your photoperiod?

12 hours - 9 AM to 9 PM

How is your CO2 doing? Do you have a drop checker?

I do have a drop checker I run the co2 slightly low at a dark(er) green instead of the recommend light green.

Using a sump on a CO2 injected tank is kind of counter-productive. Way too much gas off going on.

It is the tank was originally designed to house Discus, which is still does, priority was giving to the Discus but I am achieving co2 saturation - I am just imaging at a much higher cost but so far we have only been talking $90/year

What ferts are you dosing?

KNO3
KH2PO4
TNC Trace (CSM+B)

How high is your Nitrate and Phosphate?

These levels typically measure zero in my tank, I am growing out the plants which will be explained within the next quote.

Are you sticking to the strict regimen that EI requires?

I am not, which maybe the issue, I have been doing 50% up until this week gradually increasing to the amount of time.

A: to watch the discus for issues - none expected but on a personal level it was my chosen method

B: All plants -- recently added to the tank and as such I did not feel the EI dosing recommendations where suitable due to the fact my plants had a 10 - 15% surface coverage. This has grown to 50% coverage and I am currently dosing 75% of the recommended amount.

I can't help you with CO2 and I only dose my high light tank with liquid carbon and I dose PPS-Pro. But what I can tell you is your running your lights way too long. I have 3x 150w 6000K metal halide with 4x 39w 6700K T5HO and I found I could run my very low light T5HO's for 10 hours (I have a 220g) but I can only run the metal halides for a 6 hour burst a day. To get the algae under control I'd not only cut my light hours down to between 6 or 8 and only use 2 bulbs right now until the algae issue gets under control.

That may explain it.

Too much light on for way too long.
Reduce your photoperiod down to 8 hours a day. You may want to go less for a while until you get the algae under control.

Low CO2.
Slowly bring it up to proper levels.

Nutrient imbalance.
EI is meant to cause a surplus in nutrients over the week and then you reset with the weekly PWC. You are bottoming out in Nitrogen. If one link in the chain fails then the whole thing can fall apart and cause algae issues.

Decreasing the photo period is very easy --- BUT

Nutrient imbalance.
EI is meant to cause a surplus in nutrients over the week and then you reset with the weekly PWC. You are bottoming out in Nitrogen. If one link in the chain fails then the whole thing can fall apart and cause algae issues.

This is what I assumed the problem was and I am increasing my fertilizers.

Increasing the ferts is needed but until you get the algae under control you still need to decrease the photoperiod IMO. The algae is already present and in my expierence just upping the ferts with high light won't help/allow the exsisting algae to go away. Once the algae is gone then increase your lighting and photoperiod to what works for your tank. I didn't just magically find I could only run my halides for 6 hours or I would have algae issues. You have to find the right about of light, ferts, and CO2 for your individual tank.

Increasing the ferts is needed but until you get the algae under control you still need to decrease the photoperiod IMO. The algae is already present and in my expierence just upping the ferts with high light won't help/allow the exsisting algae to go away. Once the algae is gone then increase your lighting and photoperiod to what works for your tank. I didn't just magically find I could only run my halides for 6 hours or I would have algae issues. You have to find the right about of light, ferts, and CO2 for your individual tank.

Of course - this is valuable information. :) Lights are being reduced.

Back
Top Bottom