Algea Attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkiBumm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a few Java Ferns and They are starting to die because they are covered with algae or something that looks like algae. The "algae" is dark brown. I also have a deep green algae starting to grow. Where do these different types of algae come from? How do I get rid of it?

For the dark brown, it may be the brown algae. And the green one, is it like the dust or green spot? Can you provide the photo about it, and also, the information of your tank too.

Usually the algae doesnt usually cause the java fern to die, though its ugly to look at. A random question.. did you bury the java fern, or is it attached to something like driftwood?

I usually just take a soft toothbrush to the algae and it comes right off. You just have to be gentle about it.

Here are the photos of my what I believe is algae on my java fern. What would you like to know about my tank? Thanks

Attachments

• image-2403629106.jpg
    image-2403629106.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image-1570940434.jpg
    image-1570940434.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3971578615.jpg
    image-3971578615.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3998083561.jpg
    image-3998083561.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1561275526.jpg
    image-1561275526.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 88
Here are the photos of my what I believe is algae on my java fern. What would you like to know about my tank? Thanks

i am agree that the java fern is starting to die. If it is the algae, you can wipe it with your hands. I want to know more about your tank, such as the size, lighting, filtration, etc.

Its a 55g with 2 aqueon 55g filters that hang on the back. N just regular lighting that came in the kit. I do leave the lights on fairly long from about 8am- 12am that could be my problem. Or I've read possibly to much nitrate. I do scrub the algae off except it either grows back or doesn't come off all the way

Is the java fern buried, or is it attached to something?

Java ferns will start to rot if the rhizome is buried. Pull the plants up and tie them onto a piece of driftwood or a decoration of some sort.

How long have you had the plants?

skywhitney said:
Java ferns will start to rot if the rhizome is buried. Pull the plants up and tie them onto a piece of driftwood or a decoration of some sort.

How long have you had the plants?

About a month. What's a rhizome?

Its a little green stalk that grows horizontally... Both the leaves and the roots are attached to it. It contains chlorophyll, so if you bury it, the plant will rot and die.

SkiBumm said:
Its a 55g with 2 aqueon 55g filters that hang on the back. N just regular lighting that came in the kit. I do leave the lights on fairly long from about 8am- 12am that could be my problem. Or I've read possibly to much nitrate. I do scrub the algae off except it either grows back or doesn't come off all the way

Too long lighting may be the reason of breaking out algae. I recommend to shorten the lighting time and use the test kit to check the level of ammonia and nitrate.

Thanks for all the good info! How do you adjust nitrate levels?

Wait so you can't bury java fern? I have what I thought was a java fern and I've had it burried for several months now. So does that mean that if its still alive, it isn't java fern?
Sorry to hijack your thread

SkiBumm said:
Thanks for all the good info! How do you adjust nitrate levels?

Your weekly water changes should be keeping it (ideally) under 20ppm. If it gets higher then that you need to increase size and/or quantity of water changes or cut back on stock.

Edit: oh and you don't want 0 nitrates in a planted tank either. The plants need some.

too long lighting time may be the problem, you may shorten it and use the tester to check the level of nitrate

The chloroplasts need the light to produce food for itself, the rhizome should be showing to make the most of what you got and new leaves unfurl from it.... Try using API algae fix....I have the same problem and it goes away when i use slowly and then comes back but does rub off when I use it and my nitrates are >5 so I really don't know the cause either

Back
Top Bottom