algea on plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tiger terror said:
I thought ram's preferred soft water,I am wrong on that?&the algea eater I will toss back in with the Africans..definitely want a bristlenose(they are really cool)...

They do prefer softer water but most rams purchased now days are raised in higher ph if they are sold at your lfs most chances are they will thrive in your water as well. Or do kribs if you like another option.

Discusapisto said:
They do prefer softer water but most rams purchased now days are raised in higher ph if they are sold at your lfs most chances are they will thrive in your water as well. Or do kribs if you like another option.

I like both definitely...the rams at my lfs are kept in a huge soft water planted tank,would drip acclimation be best to move em from setup into another with diff parameters?

You could drip them or find another fish that suits your water in your area. Or if rams are your must have fish(which I wouldn't blame you if they are) prepare your own softwater it's really not that hard.

Discusapisto said:
You could drip them or find another fish that suits your water in your area. Or if rams are your must have fish(which I wouldn't blame you if they are) prepare your own softwater it's really not that hard.

Well I decided to go with kribs...my lfs only had a male,so next week they should be getting some females(cross fingers).I also picked up some white cloud tetra(5 tot)&an albino bristlenose pleco...painted the back of the tank today&waiting for it to dry...post a couple of pics soon..

Was looking forward to recieving my female krib today but she was doa at my lfs..they shipped her 2 with males.

Discusapisto said:
I'd love to see the pics! Kribs are great dwarf cichlids you'll love them!

Also you were talking about preparing my own soft water,could you inlighten me on how to do so? Thx Tiger Terror

tiger terror said:
Also you were talking about preparing my own soft water,could you inlighten me on how to do so? Thx Tiger Terror

There's a few ways you can buy RO water or a RO unit and make your own. Or soak peat in a separate tub for a few days to get your desired ph and softness also you can mix in tap water to buffer it back up if too low. Oak or beech leaves soaked in the tank laying on the substrate work well too with driftwood. also peat moss in your filter.

Discusapisto said:
There's a few ways you can buy RO water or a RO unit and make your own. Or soak peat in a separate tub for a few days to get your desired ph and softness also you can mix in tap water to buffer it back up if too low. Oak or beech leaves soaked in the tank laying on the substrate work well too with driftwood. also peat moss in your filter.

So how would you go about adding peat moss to the filter?

Back
Top Bottom