Algea outbreak + whats eating my plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronBurr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello All,

My tank has been up and running for 5 months now and I went away for the holidays. during that time a friend (Who meant well) severely over feed my fish. my filter (Which just keeps the water moving, it doesn't have a filter in it) Is constantly clogged with brown slimy algea. i'm not noticing it anywhere else in my tank.

In addition many of my plants look like they are being eaten, but nothing in my tank should eat living plants. I have MTS (Which the population has exploded for the first time), 4 neon tetras, a sunset gourmi, and a otto.

Whats eating my plants? And how do i deal with the algae without killing my plants?

Thanks in advance!

Test your water. Do some PWCs.
What kind of plants ?
What Ferts are you using ?
What is your lighting ?

Most algae outbreaks can be controlled with reducing lighting to 6 hours a day, clean water and healthy plants.

Pictures would absolutely help. Plants aren't normally physically damaged by algae. Its more of a smothering effect at its worst.

Damage to plant leaves is generally caused by either nutrient deficiencies or being chewed up by stock. I suspect the first one is the most likely cause.

Pictures will help us out a lot as well as parameter testing.

Back
Top Bottom