Algea Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmc2009

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting to notice a lot of patches growing out of control in my 30 gallon since I updated my lighting to a coral life high output t5 w/ one 10000k daylight & one actinic bluelight bulb. I have a rubber lip pleco, but he's not really touching the patches and they're growing faster now. It's covering parts of my filter, gravel, leaves of my live plants, and other decor. I test my water every other day and nothing is wrong there. Sunlight really shouldn't be an issue either because I keep the curtains closed. I fertilize once a week with API leaf zone after pwc and my gravel has first layer pure laterite mixed in with it. I also add stress coat and stress Zyme as directed after my weekly water change. Is there something I'm doing that's causing the patches to grow more rapidly? Is the upgraded light the culprit? I am currently stocked with 1 rubberlip pleco ( must be on algae strike) 2 clown loaches ( YES I KNOW THEY WILL OUTGROW THIS TANK ITS JUST TEMPORARY) and A pair of German Blue Rams. I'm posting a few pics of the patches in hopes that someone can give me some HELPFUL advice.

Attachments

• image-1889927932.jpg
    image-1889927932.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 85
  • image-1432662751.jpg
    image-1432662751.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 87
  • image-3228273523.jpg
    image-3228273523.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2216402132.jpg
    image-2216402132.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 85
With new lights ur tank will have some algae until everything levels out. This could last even a couple months. Add co2 as well. My opinion tho is get rid of acintic bulb as the light spectrum they deliver feeds algae when used as normal light. Plants primarily feed from the 450-650 range in color spectrum. Acintic bulbs are primarily used for saltwater.

Thanks. I didn't know that. So should I replace it with another 10000k, 6700k, or a colormax bulb? I want whichever bulb will increase plant growth and they all say they do that. Even the blue.

Is your tank new? Looks like diatoms to me. Common in new tanks. They will eventually burn themselves out.

Look like diatoms to me too. Best bet would be just manual removal for now and just wait it out for now.

So you don't think the blue bulb has anything to do with it? I was about to go get a replacement.

Blue bulb probably isn't' helping any, but I would give it some time before sinking money into the problem. Diatoms generally will just run their course given enough time.

First of all, congratulations on your new family member!

I had struggled for 1 1/2 years with my new 29 gal. My tank had become a graveyard. Algae everywhere, plants struggling to stay alive, let alone grow. Bottom line, my tank was in complete imbalance. I was ready to trash everything and start over.

Six months ago I made the following changes and I have never looked back. Water is crystal clear, no algae issues, growing plants and happy fish!

25% water change every week
Add 10 .ml of Stress Zyme w/ water change.
(Need that good bacteria in the water and gravel)

I have (4) T5 HO Giesemann 24 watt
(2) Aquaflora - 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
(1) Midday - 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM
(1) Blue Actinic - 11:00 to 5:00 PM

Injected CO2 - 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Rate keeps ph @ 7.0
Penguin Powerhead 550 - 7:45 PM - 7:45 AM (All night. O2 detoxifies, stimulates good bacteria and plant growth and clears out all residual CO2)

Filtration: I had a AquaFlow 70.
I added a Fluval 205. You should be able to drink this water, what do you think?

Filter Media:
Aquaflow70 uses Chemi-Pure Elite
Fluval uses Bio Chem Zorb

Great water movement both day and night.

Planted Wisteria: grows very fast and out-competes the algae for nutrients in the water.

Algae Crew: Tiger Nerite Snails and two Siamese Algae Eaters and 6 Otto's.

Just an FYI: I do have a pretty heavy bio-load with fish population:

11 Rasboras
2 Angels
1 Pleco
5 Platys
3 Clown Loaches (I have had them for two years and size is not an issue)
7 Chain Loaches

Note: I had a 10,000k bulb. Other than making the aquarium bright and off-setting the yellowish tone of the Aquaflora, it has no value. The Blue Actinic creates a nice color combo with the other bulbs and benefits the snails health.

Yes I have a lot of timers and power strips. I had no idea how involved all of this has become. But it's fun, isn't it? The graveyard is gone!

I use a weekly combo of Seachem ferts based on their recommended guidelines from their website. I just went with 50% of their recommended dosages. Fertilizing is a whole other topic.

You are already doing a lot of the right things.

All I know is that the above list helped turn around my graveyard. Some of my changes probably had no impact what so ever. If it works, don't touch it.

Lol Yeah Sounds Like Your On Top Of things. I'm not really having problems with plant growth. I have mostly swords and they're doing great. I've pretty much upgraded everything. I've spent more on lighting and my filter than the whole tank kit cost me to begin with. I just didn't want fake plants and I wanted everything living to thrive. so it's worth the $$ if it works. The only thing I haven't tried is co2. I've looked at a few things and I just don't think there's room for a canister to sit inside my aquarium. Plus they are growing well so maybe I don't need it?? I'm still debating on changing out the blue bulb. When the light catches my rams at the right angle it makes them look so awesome. Im Not sure I want to lose that by taking out that bulb but the lighting wAs originally purchased to benefit my plants.

Back
Top Bottom