All of the CO2 questions (for my tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it possible that a yeast system could contribute to ammonia? I had put the outlet back in to the filter siphon, and this morning I noticed it had liquid in it. Not clear liquid. My ammonia was 8.

8!

It was zero on Saturday. It couldn't have been so high for long, because no one was showing signs of ammonia poisoning (I know that damage is pretty bad once you can tell it's happening), and even the snails were behaving normally. Everybody had full color. Plenty active.

I did a big water change. All critters were accounted for. A couple of dead leaves but nothing out of the ordinary. I just can't figure out what it would be from.

I even got some more micro sword today because the stuff I had was doing so well. BUT I had a pH of 7.4 and kH of 2, so, things were clearly not okay today in terms of CO2.

Edited to add: last night my husband asked how I felt about getting a 20 pound tank of CO2 since it's only $3 more than a 5 pound tank. He's ordered a valve and gauge.

He's a welder and fabricator. BASF has a patent on an automotive exhaust component that he designed. I absolutely trust him to put together something that will work. Whether it's pretty is another issue. Right now I'd like to keep my plants that are finally starting to grow going without wiping everything in the tank out until he makes his system.

In your DIY CO2 setup, is there a bottle in line between the CO2 generator bottle and the output into the tank? Typically in this type of setup, the output of the CO2 generator is directed into separate bottle half filled with water and then another tube directs it to the tank. This middle bottle serves as a bubble counter and yeast trap. Stray yeast from the generator should get trapped in the water in the second bottle and not make it to the aquarium.
As the yeast consume the sugar and produce CO2, I'm not sure if ammonia produced. However, yeast themselves, once introduced into the aquarium, could die and breakdown and possibly contribute to the excessive ammonia.
Congrats on the pressurized system (if you are leaning that way).

I did have the separator bottle, but that water wasn't clear yesterday, either.

I set up a different "brewer" bottle and rearranged the outlet into the tank. This morning my ammonia is not as green as .25ppm but not as yellow as 0.

On the plus side, the pH is 6.8 and kH 3, so hopefully I'm moving in the right direction in terms of adding CO2.

Well done :) u won't believe how much better pressurised is. Takes all the hassle out of co2 ;) set and forget. I'd be getting some more plants too. The more u have the better

The only issue with The pressurized CO2 set-up is that my husband doesn't always factor available time when considering whether he is able to tackle a project, so sometimes things happen slowly.

When I got the micro sword, I also bought some wisteria for the guppy tank. It wasn't labeled, but I thought my pregnant guppy would like all of the frilly leaves. She does, but I know that tank won't be good for it in the long run. No CO2 and fine gravel substrate. I'll move it once I find some hornroot.

I also have some lotus seeds sprouting.

I love plants. I'm actually breeding tropical hibiscus and jade plants, so I'm very excited about the prospect of an aquatic garden.

I have a regulator. There's a tank on the way. I need hose, but that's easy.

I would also like to buy a diffuser and drop checker. What are your recommendations?

I have a regulator. There's a tank on the way. I need hose, but that's easy.

I would also like to buy a diffuser and drop checker. What are your recommendations?

I only used the bazooka diffuser before I went to an inline one. It did the job and created really fine bubbles.

Just go basic with the drop checker. They all do the same thing. The glass swan neck ones look nice but it can be difficult to distinguish colours against certain backdrops. JBL for example do one that has a black insert which makes it easier to see the colours.

I can't seem to find JBL drop checkers available for sale in the US. How is Fluval?

The Fluval isn't bad. Not as pretty as the all glass one. Comes with its own premixed indicator solution. Easy to read. Two peeves:
1. Suction cup gives up after a while (don't they all?)
2. The seal may eventually fail causing the fluid to mysterious disappear. Has happened to mine. It's about 2.5 years old. I did not pay a lot for it.

Good question. I would go on Amazon and check out the reviews on the all glass models. There are quite a few to select from although they look the same to me. Some come with indicator solution.

Here's what happens when the other suction cup bites the bullet: IMG_1479346199.020773.jpg It's resting in the HOB filter. It's got great flow. Might be skewed a bit as I am feeding CO2 gas into the filter intake.

That makes me think of the beer commercial with the Japanese businessmen pronouncing blue.

CLOSE ENOUGH!

The one fresh has posted would be fine and like he says you get the premixed indicator and they are more pleasing to the eye.

The one fresh has posted would be fine and like he says you get the premixed indicator and they are more pleasing to the eye.
I was referring to the suction cup substitution.

That type is pretty. The Fluval one is actually pretty ugly, I think.

What I've read is that you're supposed to put the indicator opposite the diffuser, but it seems like you would want the diffuser to be pretty central. Right?

I was referring to the suction cup substitution.

That type is pretty. The Fluval one is actually pretty ugly, I think.

What I've read is that you're supposed to put the indicator opposite the diffuser, but it seems like you would want the diffuser to be pretty central. Right?

It depends. You can place it wherever you like. I'd have it furthest away personally. If the checker is green furthest away from the diffuser the chances are you have decent co2 spread throughout the whole tank. You can move it around as you please to get a rough idea of what's going on.

Are brass fittings going to cause problems for my snails?

Are the brass fittings submerged? If so, are you concerned about copper leaching the brass fittings? Not sure about the answer to that. The only metal I trust IN water is stainless steel.

If I hadn't used the whole quota for attachments, I could show you my awesome new 20 pound bottle of CO2. Plus I had to move the tanks, and the new stand is tall enough to put the bottle under it. It looks awesome. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom