All plants curiosity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrizza

Aquarium Advice Activist
What would happen hypothetically in a tank with only plants, no fish. Without a regular food source of ammonia the bacteria in your filter will die- but assuming the other nutrients plants need are supplied, what could I expect will happen over time? Cloudy water? Algae?

there are many who have such tanks, often called "water gardens". mostly show nano tanks.
these tanks often have fertilizing and co2 additions. many look real pretty, altho not a natural look.

I had no plans for fish on my recent tank. Ended up with 4 endlers. But nothing wrong with that approach.

I think they can still look natural.

My tank has been fish free for a few weeks following a major rescape. I do plan on moving the fish back in at some point. I have been doing adjustments to the CO2 levels and light schedule and no having fish in there is a plus (not worrying about killing them).
This can be done. If the plant requirements are met, then if should be fine.

Good idea fresh. Do you dose ammonia prior to putting the fish back in to get the bacteria levels back up?

Good idea fresh. Do you dose ammonia prior to putting the fish back in to get the bacteria levels back up?

I've been concentrating on the plant requirements that I really have not given it any thought. I suppose I could. What I will probably do is move the ceramic media from the filter in the holding tank into the new canister filter when it's time to move the fish back in.

What would happen hypothetically in a tank with only plants, no fish. Without a regular food source of ammonia the bacteria in your filter will die- but assuming the other nutrients plants need are supplied, what could I expect will happen over time? Cloudy water? Algae?

I'd suspect you will have very clear water with no fish waste. As long as you could keep all the ferts up (as mentioned), I'd think it would do well.

Algae - I'd suspect some algae possible. Without some algae eating fish, then perhaps a little harder to get lights/ferts/CO2 balance right.

Back
Top Bottom