Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All Types of Algae in Planted Tank! Ahh!

Hey guys, I have a 25g high planted tank. Pressurized co2, t5ho ( x2 geisemann aqua flora/midday combo 24 watt). I just recently bough the geisemann bulbs (two weeks ago) I originally had true lumen 12000k and a flora bulb. I didn't like the results I was getting with it so I switched to geisemann. Anywho, since I've put these bulbs in I've gotten the beginning of green brush algae, black beard algae, and blue-green algae. My photo period was 10 hours with my prior bulbs but I'm thinking I need to cut it down to about 8. I used to dose comprehensive until I just gotten my dry ferts from gla today. Do you guys think the cause for all these different types of algae is because of the lack of nutrients and to long of a photo period? Thoughts??

Old 04-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Reducing photoperiod is always a good first step, as is reducing light intensity if possible. Next step is usually upping CO2.

It very well could be a result of insufficient nutrients. BGA is commonly caused by low nitrates. BBA is usually an issue with low CO2/high light. GBA is..... uncommon, I suppose, but there is usually an issue with lighting and CO2 at the root of most algae infestations.

Start bumping up CO2 and start dosing EI say me.

Oh, and pictures!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay awesome! That's definitely what I'm going to do. Here are some pics.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2822300911.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	89781

Tank shot

Name:	image-3673908857.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	89782

GBA I think?

Name:	image-734871789.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	89784

Name:	image-734871789.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	89784

BGA on a piece of Riccia that broke off and is floating.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been dosing dry ferts from gla (ei style) for a week and it appears to be a carpet of algae all over my crypts. My jungle Val has long hair algae on it as well. it's like the ferts aren't doing the trick and things are getting worse.. I cut back lighting to 8 hrs and co2 is pushing 3bps. Any ideas as to what could be going on? There is a crazy imbalance but I just don't know what.... Stumped....
Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Check your ammonia levels. What kind of algae on the crypts? How much circulation do you have? You might try raising the lights up off the tank until everything falls into place.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem
Check your ammonia levels. What kind of algae on the crypts? How much circulation do you have? You might try raising the lights up off the tank until everything falls into place.
Ammonia was at 0 yesterday. I am unable to check right because i am at the hospital my wife gave birth to our second son yesterday! Not sure as to what kind of algae. Almost looks like a turf of gunk to be honest. My circulation should be pretty well, AC 50 and a power head small power head above my glass diffuser to distribute the bubbles throughout the tank more evenly. My tank still hasn't found that happy equilibrium and hopefully it will soon! What do you mean raise the lights up? I have them on 4 inch legs right now.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Some fixtures you can raise up a little bit. Hagen Glo fixtures are nice like that.

Your HOB might be degassing a lot of your CO2. Do you have any sort of way to measure it (drop checker, pH+KH, etc)?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a DC. It stays a good lime green to yellow. I leave my co2 on 24/7 so could a ph swing from night to day/day to night affect algae growth? Since co2 would be considered "unstable"?
Old 04-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

"Unstable" isn't the best word to use. "Inconsistent" is much better. I have never heard of pH swings causing algae, or even any bad effects in a tank.

Have you checked your nitrate lately? Make sure that you've got enough of that.

Tags
algae, plant, planted, planted tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com