Almost starting my 55 gal planted community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i still need a couple more things before i actually begin planting my plants but this is what im going to try and accomplish. Any advice would be a huge help.
My fish-
3 gold barbs
3 lemon tetras
3 black skirt tetras
3 hi 511 tetras ( candycane tetra)
1 clown pleco( and one other type of pleco not sure yet what kind)
6 different types of cories ( 2 of each different kinds)
1 bolivian and 1 possibly angel ram
3 Kuhili loach

25 total fish may add a couple fish here and there if i want.

My lights fixtures are two 48inch fluorescent 54 watt at 6500k. the tank is 48 x 12 x 21. Ill have 2 pieces of drift wood. 1 small and one medium size.

The plants id like to have are..
1. Java ferns
2. Anubias(nana)
3. Amazon swords
4. Crypts
5. Possibly moss balls?
Theres more plants then that i want but not sure what yet. Id like to find a good looking carpet for my bottom but not sure if i can with those lights?

Substrate ill use Eco complete or flora max.. Is one better then the other?

Fert. i just picked up dry macro and micro from aquariumfertilizer.com the 15 dollar one. Im hoping/assuming thats the right one i need. Ill be picking up root tabs this weekend(any kind of root tabs should be good?)

Im still missing my glass plate and the actual light bulbs which ill be picking up soon hopefully by the end of nov.

Ill also be running my lights for about 10 hours a day.

If you see anything wrong or advice it will be greatly appreciated. Ill be posting pics on here as i go along.

Thank you- KCCO!

So i still need a couple more things before i actually begin planting my plants but this is what im going to try and accomplish. Any advice would be a huge help.
My fish-
3 gold barbs
3 lemon tetras
3 black skirt tetras
3 Kuhili loach

25 total fish may add a couple fish here and there if i want.

My lights fixtures are two 48inch fluorescent 54 watt at 6500k. the tank is 48 x 12 x 21. Ill have 2 pieces of drift wood. 1 small and one medium size.

The plants id like to have are..
1. Java ferns
2. Anubias(nana)
3. Amazon swords
4. Crypts
5. Possibly moss balls?
Theres more plants then that i want but not sure what yet. Id like to find a good looking carpet for my bottom but not sure if i can with those lights?

Substrate ill use Eco complete or flora max.. Is one better then the other?

Fert. i just picked up dry macro and micro from aquariumfertilizer.com the 15 dollar one. Im hoping/assuming thats the right one i need. Ill be picking up root tabs this weekend(any kind of root tabs should be good?)

Im still missing my glass plate and the actual light bulbs which ill be picking up soon hopefully by the end of nov.

Ill also be running my lights for about 10 hours a day.

If you see anything wrong or advice it will be greatly appreciated. Ill be posting pics on here as i go along.

Thank you- KCCO!

I wouldn't run your lights that long with a dual T5HO.

My fish-
3 gold barbs
3 lemon tetras
3 black skirt tetras
3 Kuhili loach

Your corys will be happier if you buy 12 of the same kind instead of six different kinds. Also, why not buy a pair of bolivian rams instead of one of each kind? You'll have more fun watching the pair spawn.

Also, 3 of each kind of tetra is not a wise thing to do. Like the corys, they like to be in larger groups. It'd be wiser to get a group of 10 of 1 kind of tetra than 3 groups of 3.

Your corys will be happier if you buy 12 of the same kind instead of six different kinds. Also, why not buy a pair of bolivian rams instead of one of each kind? You'll have more fun watching the pair spawn. Also, 3 of each kind of tetra is not a wise thing to do. Like the corys, they like to be in larger groups. It'd be wiser to get a group of 10 of 1 kind of tetra than 3 groups of 3.

Everyone always tells me that but my fish are perfectly happy. They never chase each other around and each kind of tetra schools with each other and there own breeds. I've had it like this for about a year now and I've had no problems. I have 2 Julli Cory's and 2 emerald green Cory's and they do very well with each other. I'll prolly end up doing 5 Julii and 5 emerald green

Your corys will be happier if you buy 12 of the same kind instead of six different kinds. Also, why not buy a pair of bolivian rams instead of one of each kind? You'll have more fun watching the pair spawn. Also, 3 of each kind of tetra is not a wise thing to do. Like the corys, they like to be in larger groups. It'd be wiser to get a group of 10 of 1 kind of tetra than 3 groups of 3.
I just like the look of having a wise assortment of fish but I'll prolly go with pair of Bolivian rams

Those are florescent bulbs not T5HO so you may have to start at about 7-8 hours and over time possibly go with more or less time. You don't need CO2 in a low light setup but using a liquid carbon helps with photosynthesis and plant growth. Which one of these did you get? Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Main, Main, Dry Fertilizers, Dry Fertilizers,
If you got the macro-micro mix you will need Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) also as that isn't supplied in that mix. With using those ferts it would be wise to use liquid carbon. You will also need root tabs for any swords, crypts, or bulb plants you use.

Those are florescent bulbs not T5HO so you may have to start at about 7-8 hours and over time possibly go with more or less time. You don't need CO2 in a low light setup but using a liquid carbon helps with photosynthesis and plant growth. Which one of these did you get? Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Main, Main, Dry Fertilizers, Dry Fertilizers,
If you got the macro-micro mix you will need Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) also as that isn't supplied in that mix. With using those ferts it would be wise to use liquid carbon. You will also need root tabs for any swords, crypts, or bulb plants you use.

Sorry I misread it as he had 2-54 watt bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom