alright. i am confused. Is pearling a good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am asking because i was under the impression that o2 release from plants is bad. isn't that what pearling is? I also somehow got the impression that pearling means new growth.

what is pearling exactly and is it a sign of health or a sign of distress?

a sign of health of course...

Your goal with a planted tank is to have the right amount of co2 and trace elements so that they plants can produce o2. Pearling is just the plants way of showing it is really happy.

Pearling is definately a good thing in my eyes.

It doesnt really mean new growth, but if the plant is pearling chances are it will grow ell because it is doing so well.

HTH

I think there is a bit of confusion.

Pearling is good. it often shows as O2 coming out of the pores of the plant leaves.

Bleeding is different, it can be bad if it's coming from a damaged part of the plant, it can also be common if the plant is growing (sometimes causes lacerations that bleed out at growth points. It shows as a stream of bubbles coming from one spot on the plant.

There is pearling, which is the release of excess O2 (good) and there is general "leakage" of gases from the plant due to cut or broken stems, leaves etc. If you see a steady stream of bubbles from just one location it's leaking, if there are bubbles all over the place it's pearling.

^^ What they said. Pearling is a good sign and great for your fish. It basically means that your water column has reached O2 saturation and cannot accept anymore... The bubbles that are put off in streams by damaged plants are not bad for anything, but this is not pearling and indicates that the plant is damaged in that spot. No big deal though.

...which is generally referred to as "streaming". To know the difference, pearling usually consists of bubble(s) just sitting on the leaves of plants. Streaming looks just like the description, tons of bubbles being released in a steady stream from the plant.

Also, immediately after a water change, there is a chance of O2 bubbles attaching to plants from the water column, which is often known as "false pearling".

Even streaming, though it may indicate some damage to the plant. Does also show the plant is growing and producing oxygen. Plants that are streaming like mad, are in general growing like mad as well.

That is not to say that your plants are not healthy if you never witness this event either......

Back
Top Bottom