Alternate use for UGF / RUGF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK So I have my old UGF set up to be my CO2 diffuser. Instead of an air stone I threaded a "CO2 stone" (Air stone hooked up to my DIY reactor) to the bottom. The creates a nice buble of CO2 at the top of the filter and in my experience so far is has worked... decently.

I know UGFs are not recomended for planted tanks but I'm wondering. If i turned my powerhead so mabey 1/2-1/4 the flow is directed down the pipe (therefor mixing the CO2) the UGF would still be bad for the tank.

PsiPro wrote: "If i turned my powerhead so mabey 1/2-1/4 the flow is directed down the pipe (therefor mixing the CO2) the UGF would still be bad for the tank."

Only once you find that it clogs up and you have to remove all of your substrate and plants to fix the problem! And from what I've read, this is only a matter of time depending on how many inches of substrate you have!

Hmm OK Thanks for the responce. Guess i'm gonna need to figure out another way to get the CO2 into the water.

Ok amendment to my previous. What If i put a filter over the UGF so that when I push water down there isn't any debris? Just water?

what if you had the co2 going into like a cup filled with gravel? could that break up the bubbles?

Yes this is the 15gallon. There is a HOB filter and this is not ment as a form of filtration. I'm just trying to get my DYI CO2 Set up. I attached a picture of whats going on in the tank.

The bubler is at the bottom of the clear tube. I'm just running wanter backwards down the tube. The output of the powerhead is pointed at the usualy outflow of the bubbler.

Attachments

• p1010026.jpg
    p1010026.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 27
krap101 said:
what if you had the co2 going into like a cup filled with gravel? could that break up the bubbles?

I've tried but its hard to hide and havn't been successful at getting it disolved well. I have vey high diffusal rates this way, but i know UGFs are frowned upon in the planted world.

I'd say if the asthetics are okay with you and you consider this a permanent application, by all means stick with it!

Let me try to clarify: the co2 tubing reaches all the way underneath the substrate, and the bubbles stick around down there until they dissolve? Or do all the bubbles float back up to the top of the UGF piping and collect there?

Back
Top Bottom