Alternative Substrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been hearing recently about some people using a substrate in planted aquariums called something along the lines of "outdoor planted pond substrate". People are claiming you can find this at Home Depot / Lowes for around $15 for a 50 lb. bag.

Anyone have more information on this substrate type? I don't have a brand name or anything... it's just been refered to as "outdoor planted pond substrate".

Thanks!

That is what my local home depot said was the only stuff they carried as far as substrate. The employee said it owuldn't work in and aquatium because of the way it owuls suspend in the water due to filtration. It might work but you should get a better opinion.

I use Schultz/Profile Aquatic Soil -- my only complaint is it is too light weight. It is fired clay and many prefer to use it as a filler with more expensive substrate, but I used 100% for several months before topping off with a layer of decorative gravel, which helps hold down stem plants. I grow stem plants and root feeders great, but it is inert so root tabs to start off helps. It doesn't mess with water chemistry nor does it stay suspended, though my water was cloudy for a couple days. There is an entry for this substrate in the substrates sticky in this forum and there's a lot of info on the net. Some refer to it as SAPS. I paid $7 for 20lbs if I remember correctly.

Yep, Schultz/Profile Aquatic Soil is the stuff your thinkin' of. everyone I know who's used it complained it was too light to plant in. I also don't care much for the color of the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom