Am I doing a good job ?! Some advice would be nice.Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MolsonEx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I'm fresh to this fantastic hobby. I'm having an aquarium for about a year now and i just changed to real plants. I will ad some pictures because i have now idea what they are. And if they are good for my fish/aquarium.
I will also ad my list of fish i have now because i would like to know if i made the good choices. Thanks you in advance. I have 35 watt of fluo light.

Greetings, MolsonEx

20gal/fresh/planted/heated

1 Pleco
2 Oto's
5 Zebra Danio's(young)
5 Neon Tetra(young)
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Angel(young)
3 Siccor Tetra

Here the picture because i made a mistake. :lol:

MolsonEx

Attachments

• dsc00002_resize.jpg
    dsc00002_resize.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 90
  • dsc00003_resize.jpg
    dsc00003_resize.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 96
  • dsc00005_resize.jpg
    dsc00005_resize.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 82
You have an Angel and a Pleco in a 20 gal tank........ 8O

I'm no expert....but I would think your tank is WAY overstocked...

Welcome to Aquarium Advice, MolsonEx! :multi:

What kind of pleco do you have? Some of them will get too big for a 20 gallon tank. I had a pleco that was 2 inches long when full-grown, and there are some other kinds that are 5 inches or so when fully grown. But some plecos, especially the common pleco, will get too big for your tank.

I can't help with identifying the plants, but they look wonderful! They seem to be doing well under the lighting that you have.

Hey tnx for the reply,

It's a black pleco with white spots.
I have it for a 1 year now but it's not really growing. I have no idea what kind it is. It's about 1,5 inch now. Where could i find this information ?!
And my plants grow like h*ll. Just light and food. No co2

MolsonEx

Hi MolsonEx and Welcome to AA!

I believe the plants in pic#2 are bolbitus. Pic#1 appear to be crypts. I don't know what pic#3 is.

You have the perfect setup as far as the plants and lights go. I'll look up the plant in pic#3 (I might as well, it looks very good and I may want one :wink: ).

Hmmm...I don't believe picture 1 are crypts. Crypts have one broad leaf on one stem, not many leaves on the same stem. I was going to say it was a rotala, but if it is, it's a lot bushier than mine!

Here is a good website for catfish and plecos: http://www.planetcatfish.com/

Well, the tank is a bit overstocked. You should decide to either get rid of some fish or get a bigger tank, if you have the money. Maybe you could keep your favorites and bring the others back to the LFS. The general rule is 1" of fish per gallon.
You really should bring back the angel.

Even for a planted tank... more room would be better for those fish. Especially since the angel can get to be fairly large- its not so much water parameters, its the swimming space available.

If anything, maybe you could upgrade to a 29gal- those 9 extra gal would really make a difference

IMO, I think the tank is overstocked. Just as lyquid said, it's the swimming space, not the bio-load.

Also, your pleco sounds like a Snowball Pleco. Try www.liveaquaria.com and see if that's the one that you have.

[center:a87c37cd27] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, MolsonEx! :n00b: [/center:a87c37cd27]

Nothing like a little "overstocking" debate for a Saturady afternoon!

Just looking at the stocking list, you may have a problem between the gouramis and the angel later. Watch for aggression and nipped fins. Angel lovers will say you need a minimum of 10 gallons per angel. Your angel may stay small due to the smaller tank, but the life span is increased with the proper tank space.
The tetras and danios appreciate a lot of swimming room and as the fish get bigger, the swimming room decreases. Another potential problem is the angel and the neons. Neons are natural prey for adult angels.

What type of filter are you using?

What type of filter are you using?

Eheim 150 HOB filter. But ièm looking for an aquaclear because i get tired of those filterchanges.

Thanks for the advice every1. This thank is probably for 1 year max because ièm going to move to a new house and will ship these fish to a 50 gallon tank. This is just a test tank to see if ièm ready for the real tanks.

Greetings,

MolsonEx

Molson- You don't have to change filter pads, actually, you shouldn't. Just swish the old cartridges in used tank water (never tap water), and put them back in the filter. The only time that they need to be replaced is if you are taking out meds, or the pads are starting to fall apart.

Hey! a fellow HABS Fan! 8)
Welcome to AA!

IMO, plant #2 is Hygrophyla difformis, #3 Althernathera (#1 no clue)
I also just started my first planted tank, doing pretty well so far.
If U.R. in Mtl. area, we could trade plants, keep in touch! :D

Fishyfanatic said:
Molson- You don't have to change filter pads, actually, you shouldn't. Just swish the old cartridges in used tank water (never tap water), and put them back in the filter. The only time that they need to be replaced is if you are taking out meds, or the pads are starting to fall apart.

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. This is going to save me lots of $$$. But what about the carbon in the black filters. I usually keep the blue green filters. I I rinse them separately every 2 months. Do you have any experience with aquaclear filters ???

Greetings, MolsonEx

I had an aquaclear at some point, just don't remember when. The carbon in the black filter doesn't need to be changed unless it starts to fall apart (the padding). In fact, you could just cut open the top of the filter pad, dump out the carbon, and add ceramic rings inside of it. That's what we did to the Eclipse filter. I don't remember what the blue green filter is though.

kaaikop said:
If U.R. in Mtl. area, we could trade plants, keep in touch! :D

Hello,

Merci for the advice. :D Yes i'm living in the MtL area on the south shore. What kind of plants do you have. Because i'm not having much space anymore soon for more plants because it is really growing fast.

GO HABS GO !

Greetings,

MolsonEx

Back
Top Bottom