Amazon Biotope questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
So while my 29g cycles, I want to rescape. I have already changed over to PFS and was wondering what plants would work. I figured I should stay in the Echinodorus genus and keep it to mostly low light, I have a 17w, t8, 8000k light. I will be stocking Angelfish, Bolivian ram, keyhole cichlid, cories and hatchetfish. Any suggestions? I dont plan on having a CO2 setup just yet.

With 17W on a 29g, you'll have to stick to low-light plants. They might even struggle a bit. Not sure about biotope correctness, but I'd suggest anacharis.

Well I have no problem getting a brighter bulb, I just dont want to go high tech. Any suggestions on a bulb? Im a plant newb.

I don't think you can get a brighter bulb unless you upgrade your fixture. Adding a second 17W T8 bulb would go a long way. Switching to 6700K color temperature would be a small improvement too.

I'd look for a 65w fixture if you want plants for that biotope. With your current lighting you will be severely limited.

Ok you guys talked me into it, I will look for a 65w fixture. So lets go woth suggestions for that, I was thinking some hair grass and amazon swords.

do you want blackwater amazon biotope or "clear" amazon biotope?

The amazon is a huge river and has tons of different environments within its banks.

Hair grass IME would need more than 65w....meaning its more of a high tech (or atleast closer to high than low tech) plant. I have only had success with it (fast, healthy growth) when I had high light, co2, ferts. I've also noticed that it took a bit more light than I thought to light a 29g or any slightly tall tank.

You could try another grass...like Dwarf Sagittaria aka Dwarf Sag. Its thicker, but it will grow and thrive in low-medium light. Its a pretty common plant so you shouldn't have trouble finding it. It makes a nice foreground and under 65 watts should stay pretty short. Another option in the Echinodorus genus is E. tenellus aka Pygmy Chain Sword. Its grassy looking and looks similar to the Dwarf Sag.

I think its a good move going with 65 watts because sticking to a certain biotope and then narrowing your choices to low light wouldn't leave you with many options.

If you like sword plants (Echinodorus) they will definitely thrive under 65w vs your current setup. Check out Echinodorus parviflorus 'tropica' or Compact/Tropica Swords. They are like Dwarf Sword plants....good for the middle area of the tank. I would stay away from Amazon Swords (Echinodorus amazonicus) because it will outgrow a 29g and take up alot of real estate space for other plants. :) According to plantgeek.net Anacharis is found in South American countries, so it would be close to the biotope.

White Devil: Its going to be a ''clear'' setup as Im unsure how I feel about blackwater.

JOM: Thanks for the suggestions, I will be sure to check them out.

I will be sure to post pictures when I begin this endevor, it may be awhile as $85 is alittle too much right now to spend on a fixture.

Check your local reef club out for a possible used bargain.

check out home depot,lowes and menards, they are carrying HO lights now and for 1/3rd the cost of aquarium fixtures.

check out home depot,lowes and menards, they are carrying HO lights now and for 1/3rd the cost of aquarium fixtures.

Great, I will check it out tomorrow.

HN1: I just moved to the area, how would I go about finding a local club?

I suggested a reef club because lighting is commonly upgraded as a lot of reef tanks evolve. I figured there may be a better deal for you to be had where the PCs are considered lower end. People switch to T5HO & MH everyday. ;)

Back
Top Bottom