Amazon plants for a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JacksonJigsaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 10 gallon tank I am trying to make like the amazon river. No particular part, just a general for now. I have PFS for the bottom with oak leaves and a big hunk of mopanii wood ( I know it's not from the amazon but what can you do lol), and plastic amazon swords. I wanna get rid of the fake plants for some real ones. I have black neon tetras and corys. The tanks been going for bout 7 months.

So the question of the day would be what other plants beside amazon sword could I use? Preferably easy to find ones I could find at most stores that don't take allot of work. This is my first try at live plants so any hints for plants listed would be wonderful.

Here's a list I found in Aquarium USA Magazine from a year ago:
water milfoil
hair grass
pygmy chain sword plant
amazon swords (echinodorus amazonicus or palaefolius)

Here's a list I found in Aquarium USA Magazine from a year ago:
water milfoil
hair grass
pygmy chain sword plant
amazon swords (echinodorus amazonicus or palaefolius)

I read that the amazon sword gets huge? Which would be good in what part of the tank ?

Yes, amazons get huge (they have a big footprint) but to get them that big you'll need some ferts and root tabs. I'd say the back so that way the focus is more on the fish and not distracted by the plants.

So as long as I don't try to grow them they will stay smaller? Hair grass in the front, dwarf amazons in the middle and amazon swords in the back. Hopefully I can find all these at one of the pet shops around here. Thanks for the help, if I can figure out how I will post now and later photos.

Amazon's will out grow the tank. Why dont you get vals instead.

So i got the plants, now for lighting. I bought 2 Aqua Life "Aquari-lux PG" 15 watt/120v bulbs. The ones that screw into your aquarium hood. They are a blue color. The problem is they dont seem to be putting out allot of light. Are these okay? Also, do i need to look into fertilizer and Co2?? I know nothing about aquatic plants. Thanks for the help guys.

JacksonJigsaw said:
So i got the plants, now for lighting. I bought 2 Aqua Life "Aquari-lux PG" 15 watt/120v bulbs. The ones that screw into your aquarium hood. They are a blue color. The problem is they dont seem to be putting out allot of light. Are these okay? Also, do i need to look into fertilizer and Co2?? I know nothing about aquatic plants. Thanks for the help guys.

Which plants did you get?

" Anacharis" and "Bleheri" Than there was a chain sword, but it said it was from new zealand so i didnt get it, but i looked it up and i think it might have been confused with another species

JacksonJigsaw said:

Sorry, those are not good lights. You need compact fluorescent plants lights. They run about $10-15 at Petsmart. You want the one that is by Marineland or the Aqueon Colormax (not the 50/50) bulbs.

I use 2 Marineland bulbs over my 10 g

View attachment 47174

View attachment 47175

Using CFLs in the right spectrum (6,500 or so ) will grow low light and some medium light plants.

Under most CFLs you won't need CO2 unless you really increase the lighting. Ferts ? I'd use root tabs of some sort , just a few in a 10g. Since your substrate is not enriched. Google it, but i think bury them at least an inch I dose API Leaf Zone 1x weekly. I have liquid Carbon, but not sure how I like it. My Shrimp seem sensitive to the Carbon. Other ferts are fine.

I trim my tanks weekly. I'm overdue LOL.

View attachment 47178

JacksonJigsaw said:
The ones that look like long tubes? do i have to get a special lid or something for that?

Nope, screw in compact fluorescents :)
My plants love them.

You can check Home Depot or Lowes. I worked at Petsmart so it was easier to shop there. Two 10-13watt CFLs rated for freshwater plants will work great. I have these over my 5 and my 10.

JacksonJigsaw said:
O and Awesome shrimp lol

Thank You. I started this tank about 5? Months ago. I started with Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Tank cycled fast with lots of plants. Added 2 Otos. Then Red Cherry Shrimp. Started with 20. Now have a ton of babies. Added Crystal Red Shrimp about 6 weeks ago. Eagerly waiting for their eggs to hatch.

I have Dwarf Chain Swords, lots of different Mosses, Ludwigia, Bacopa, Bolbitis, just added Crypts, a Lily and floating plants. Not all of it is for this tank. I'm holding some for my new rimless 10g I'm starting soon.

I have Amazon Sword in my 5 g. It's been very hardy.

Mosses and Ferns are easy and don't get "planted". You usually tie or glue them to driftwood or rocks.

My MTS (snails) aerate my sand. They can overbreed, but I like them. They do not eat my plants.

View attachment 47184

LOL so i returned the lights and the guy insisted i didnt know what i was talking about, the lights were fine and there was no such thing as a screw in flouresnt. Evidently the competing pet store proved him wrong lol. The one i got was by ZOO MED 50/50 6500k Trichromatic and actinic 420.

Thanks for the save, this is why i joined AA.

OOOO and they also had just put out a pygmy chain sword that i grabed as fast as i could. Forgot the Ferts. tho :/

Before
img_1492351_0_edda97cfc1e2569adda529cd76b3d057.jpg

Back
Top Bottom