Amazon Sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_fish_man

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 72 Gallon of rather big fish. Most of my seaweed I get needs to be full grown other wise it usually will get up-rooted. And I took a risk and got a baby amazon sword. So I was wondering if their are any ways to speed up its growth?
Thanks

I agree with the others. How deep is your substrate? You may try to plant the sword into a ceramic pot and then bury that. Just a thought.

The only way I could ever get good growth from and Amazon sword was by potting it in soil. If you decide to pot, check between the roots for a bulb. If there is one pinch it off before planting, as it will prevent/slow growth.

I'm new to the whole planted thing, but when I was first starting out and setting up my 55 gallon planted tank everyone cautioned me against doing DIY CO2, which is basically what that system you're looking at is. That system, and DIY CO2 out of a Coke bottle, uses simple sugar and yeast in pretty much the same way you carbonate bottle conditioned beer. It does work, but you're going to be changing out bottles so often it's not funny.

If you have a low/med light situation I would suggest dosing excel...if you want a big one fast just get a big one! Post in the barter trade section...I know when I was starting out I had a generous donation of a very large amazon sword...sometimes more experienced folks need to weed them out now and then. :) You might get one just for the cost of shipping. ;)

Back
Top Bottom