amazon sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You would have to be more specific on which one. I have a uruguay sword (amazon) that is about 2mm from reaching the surface of my 75Gal. I don't know if it's gonna float or not..

I like the Echinodorus uruguayensis, but the leaves get longer than my height of the tank. What are the ways to trim swords? Do you just cut the tips or the whole leave?

Thanks,

Kyle

Most Echinodorus sold as an "Amazon Sword" will probably get too big for you. That said, I have kept my Amazons' small for a year by limiting thier root space. I planted in a hole in some driftwood. Like a Bonsai tree, no root space means a smaller plant.

You said you have a 29, 29tall or 29long? As for species that stay small. There are lots of them to choose from. Many are not so common, but can be found with some effort.
Here are a few of the mid sized and smaller swords that I like.
Medium: 6-15 inches.
Echinodorus 'Oriental'
Echinodorus 'Ozelot'
Echinodorus 'Indian Summer'
Echinodorus 'Red Flame'
Echinodorus 'Red Diamond'
Echinodorus cordifolius 'Tropica Marble Queen'
Echinodorus parviflorus ''Peruensis'

small: 1 to 6 inches
Echinodorus tenellus
Echinodorus tenellus "red"
Echinodorus parviflorus "Tropica"

All I know about swords is my red melon sword is getting huge. I don't know if it will outgrow my 10 gallon tank completely but it could. Aim for the smaller ones, they will be eaiser to deal with.

When I got my Uruguay sword it was 5" tall and I had to cut all but 5 leaves off since they were in horrible shape. This was on Boxing day. I now have over 40 leaves even after cutting more off. The center is reaching over 21".

http://woo.gotdns.com/Aquarium/Showpics.php

The pics are in reverse order (newest first). The sword is on the left and you can see it grow in less then 2 months.

quadrider5953 said:
I like the Echinodorus uruguayensis, but the leaves get longer than my height of the tank. What are the ways to trim swords? Do you just cut the tips or the whole leave?

Thanks,

Kyle

That is a good question. How does everyone prune their swords? I've been cutting them off near the root, but not getting any new growth. The more I cut, the more bare it gets.

I always remve leaves from the outside and remove them where the "stalk" turns into a leaf (where the blade starts).. Never had a problem with slow growth. It was putting up a new leaf every 1.5 days.

Think I'm cutting the stock off too short, down by the root. Could that be a problem? I have a bunch of stubs at the bottom, but nothing new coming up. Next time I prune, I'll try where the blade starts and see how things go. :)

Lonewolfblue said:
That is a good question. How does everyone prune their swords? I've been cutting them off near the root, but not getting any new growth. The more I cut, the more bare it gets.

I have tried both ways. The ones I cut at the leaf have no new growth, just a bare stalk.

I've had better luck cutting under the sand, at the root. New stalks start
right away. It seams like I get two new for every one I cut.

Back
Top Bottom