Amazon sword (Africa)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two Amazon swords, one is doing great and the other don't. So i have two questions :

The one that is doing great is looking good and healthy. But I have a question:
In the middle of the plant, it is growing a long stick (like 14" long), Which today produced new leaves in the top ( I hope I'm explaining my self)...
Can I cut this long stick, to try to get a new plant?

The one that is not good, the leaves turned light brown, and look like traslucid :-( any ideas why?

hey! same thing here! ones doing great, other, not so great. but i found out why it happened to me, i accidently put one in a partially shady part behind my driftwood, so it was not getting enough light. ive moved it, and hopefully it'll get green again.
but yea, maybe the same thing for you?

The "stick" is a flower stalk which will produce flowers and/or new plantlets. When the plantlets have roots that are long enough to plant, they can be carefully removed from the stalk and planted. which will produce

BillD said:
The "stick" is a flower stalk which will produce flowers and/or new plantlets. When the plantlets have roots that are long enough to plant, they can be carefully removed from the stalk and planted. which will produce

Thanks Bill.

Help me to understand, the stalk will generate roots at the "joint"? Then I can cut it and try to plant it?

theusedmyr said:
hey! same thing here! ones doing great, other, not so great. but i found out why it happened to me, i accidently put one in a partially shady part behind my driftwood, so it was not getting enough light. ive moved it, and hopefully it'll get green again.
but yea, maybe the same thing for you?

Thanks, looks like mine are getting the same light, the one than turned brown and transparent is even taller!! but I will double-check.

Thanks Bill.

Help me to understand, the stalk will generate roots at the "joint"? Then I can cut it and try to plant it?
yeah, you'll see where the 'stalk' and the plant separate. Just cut it off as close to the plant as you can. But wait until the roots are an inch or longer. Mine usually had several plantlets on each 'stalk'.

mfdrookie516 said:
yeah, you'll see where the 'stalk' and the plant separate. Just cut it off as close to the plant as you can. But wait until the roots are an inch or longer. Mine usually had several plantlets on each 'stalk'.

Thanks .. I will do.

Back
Top Bottom