Amazon Sword Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 lightly planted tanks. I'm dabbling in planting. I really love the plants but don't want to put in a whole lot of effort. I have anubias and just put in amazon sword. In my 30 gallon I put in a large amazon sword, unfortunately the top of the plant is slightly out of the water. Anything I can do about this? I guess I overestimated my tank size.

The sword should enjoy that a little. I am not 100% sure, but watch it for a while - the leaves that are out of the water will die if they don't like the 02 concentration. Also, swordplants like root fertilization, so a few root tabs would be good, or you might have dead swordplants.

I don't know about the out of water part, but root tabs are very important for swords. Seachem has some good ones and they are usually found at most fish stores.

I'd have to think that they grow out of water sometimes in their natural habitat.

Thanks, I got the root tabs, not sure which brand but they were very expensive. I'll be checking amazon.com in the future. As long as the plants don't grow anymore I'll be ok, but if they grow much more - not sure what I'll do.

There's a lot of cheaper alternatives to root tabs. I make clay based ones myself, and I know there are tons of people who use osmocote in gel caps. Ebay is a good place to look.

The sword sticking out of the water could be a good thing since it'd have some availability to atmospheric co2, but it will most likely shrivel back if it's anywhere near the lighting.

I got an Amazon Sword a couple months ago and love it! They love iron. I've been using the API root tabs that have a fairly high concentration of iron and it's always shooting up new, healthy leaves. If you try the API tabs, make sure you plunge them down into the substrate as quick as possible. They dissolve really fast. Also be sure to cut off any yellowing or dying leaves as close the bottom as you can, so the plant doesn't waste energy trying to keep them alive.

Good luck and welcome to the joy of the planted tank! I also recommend Java Ferns for an easy to grow beginner's plant. They like to be tied to rocks or driftwood though. Don't put them in the substrate.

Awesome thanks for all the tips. I love watching my tanks develop. I had wisteria, but my sweet pleco had other plans for them. He dug them up repeatedly, so I gave up.

Back
Top Bottom