Amazon Sword Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbaeunn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have one from a lfs, it came in a small slit plastic pot w. This foam stuff around it. Is that safe to remove the foam? I took it out of the pot and set it inside a Terra cotta pot but it still has the foam around it..
I'm semi knowledgeable w non-aquatic plants, just wasn't sure if their roots need to stay contained to manage the plants growth or a major root takeover.

Fwiw I usually remove any material that comes with aquatic plants, foam or pots, etc. I find the roots mostly do better when they are not restricted. Unlike some terrestrial plants that may do better when 'pot bound', aquatic plants generally don't. In fact, some of the rhizomatous types rot if the rhizome get buried.. such as Java fern or Anubias.

Swords propagate themselves mainly via runners, which may snake across the surface of substrate or grow through it and sprout up every few inches. Sometimes these runners will grow upward and sort of float while they sprout plantlets, but you can simply push them down to root into the substrate. A rock can serve to hold them down if need be for awhile.

Rock wool doesn't bind them, their roots work right through it easily. This is part of the reason why its one of the most used hydroponic and aquaponics growing medium. The plastic net pots do though.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

I agree, rock wool does not bind roots. I mainly object to the shreds of rock wool that end up here and there.. that's why I remove it.

I object to the foam peanuts which I find in some pots under the wool. Potted plants also tend to pick up bits of gravel from the display tanks they're sold from. I got a bit tired of having odd coloured bits of gravel on my black substrate, so my habit now is to remove everything.

And foam wrap on stem bunches I always remove too so I can wash off any crud, check for any sneaky hitchhikers, such as scuds, and remove dead leaves. The roots certainly do grow through it though.

It is a somewhat derogatory nickname for Amphipods, or gammarus. They are members of the crustacean family, small shrimp like critters. Many folks don't care for them, but they actually make good fish food for bottom feeders. They also are voracious algae eaters.

In a planted tank, if they get hungry, they may eat plants, so are not ideal to have, but I toss any I find into a culture tank and feed them to my cories. The ones they miss survive just fine so they don't mess up the water parameters.

When I get my display planted tank going, I'd probably prefer not to have scuds living in it, but if some get in, it won't be a total disaster either.

I don't know. Can they catch fast moving small prey items ? Scuds are fast, hug the bottom, hide in substrate and are mainly detritus feeders. They're prey for many fish, but once a population gets established they can usually survive even with a fair predation load.

What do ADF eat anyway ? I've never kept one. I have an Asian floating frog, which never leaves the water, but only eats insects that it ambushes from below.

Mine eat blood worms, fish food, Betta food.. and algae pellets.
They're chunky-butts!! HAHAHA-- I constantly catch them digging in the gravel for food that has sunken to the bottom. Ill have to look up more info on the scuds, those seem interesting. So far I've had snails hitchhiking on the back of another snail (not quite sure how I missed that) and noticed my first reproductive outbreak Today. But luckily, and hopefully, no other hitch hikers.

I've tried to catch scuds and they're quick little guys, not to mention being really good at hiding in substrates, so you get a net of sand plus a scud or two. this may require sifting the sand until you feel a wriggle on your finger, which will be another scud. They often climb wet fingers, it's an odd sensation. If they crawl onto a fingertip I just dip them into their tank and swish them of

If they're in a bucket, stir well with a brine shrimp net, you'll get most of them. They can stick tight to the bottom of a bucket, but a hefty swirl usually gets them swimming, or pour off water slowly 'till very little is left and then swirl,either pour to the next container or into a brine shrimp net to transfer wherever needed.

I'm just about always looking for critters I can grow or culture for my fish and frogs. It's interesting to keep the cultures, and variety does the fish no end of good.

An established population will have all sizes, from tiny new borns no more than a 1/16th inch, to half inch adults and all between. Gravid females can be so egg laden they look like some other creature entirely, but go back to normal once their eggs are gone. The size variations suit a variety of appetites and mouth sizes. My loaches and cories just love them and get plenty of exercise hunting them. Some mid level feeders will chase them too, and catch one sometimes.

I'd bet your frogs just might find them very interesting. If they are like most frogs they probably have a prey drive that is excited by movement of live prey. Scuds have a 'hopping' glide from place to place, and will sometimes swim to high levels for short times. I'd guess for ADF, scuds might be a real treat for them, not only good eating but also due to stimulating prey drive and hunting behaviours.

I've little experience with frogs other than my Floating Asian, Froggie, who ambushes her crickets and such from the surface.

You can get starter cultures of them, now and then, from other hobbyists, or from Carolina Biologicals. It's a lab, they sell cultures of all sorts of things. Look for amphipod or gammaru. I think they call it Mixed crustaceans, most being scuds, the other things are fish food too, maybe a few daphnia or such. Make sure you get FW amphipods, there are many marine species that serve similar purposes.

Have you tried California black worms ? Live, red/brown slender aquatic worms. Can be cultured, which I'm about to try, and a portion from a local store will last weeks in the fridge, with daily rinsing to keep water clean. They also survive in tanks, so no foul water, and so long as not too many are fed, they get hunted down and eaten later. They're fabulous fish food. Might be fabulous ADF food too.

I'm a big believer in live foods whenever possible and it's well known they help bring many fish into breeding condition. Frozen foods being a close second in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom