Amazon Sword Trimming and Reproduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgcheese

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for advice on how to best trim my amazon sword? And how do I get it to reproduce? Anyhow I have many different kinds of plants they all seem to grow very well the only problem I am having is my amazon sword is very large about 4 inches in diameter at the base and is as tall as the tank will permit if don't prune it for a couple weeks it covers one whole side of the tank. I would like to know how much can I cut off of the plant before it will hurt the plant? How do I get it to reproduce? I have tried changing the light timers, lowering the water temp slightly hopping to shock the plant like my books tell me but I have had no luck.

Mine seems to know when it reaches the top of the tank and then keeps growing for it. I cut it off flush at the bottom, it just grows back thicker. Sometimes I think it shocks it into reproducing.

Sounds like your Amazon Sword has an established root system and is thriving. You could probobly cut back 75% or more, as mentioned and it will grow back strong. I generally pinch older growth off my Swords using my finger nails once or twice a month, to keep them from dominating the tank.

As for getting your Swords to reproduce. I honestly don't know. I've noticed my various Swords that are only 4-6" tall reproduce at a great rate. Where as my very large, established 16" with 30+ leaves never reproduce. (All of this is dependant on tank size, growth space, ligthing, nutrients etc.....).

Perhaps the larger dominating plants have a well anchored root system for gulping up nutrients, and are taller were they get the better light? Were as, smaller plants need to reproduce more in hopes of competing for nutrients and light, thus surving in nature.

Again, these are just my observations. This is a good topic. If anyone has any knowledge, it would be great to hear.

I've only grown a melon sword, and compact swords. the melon grew too large for my 75gallon :(

I'm about to tear it down and re-scape the whole thing with new plants...might have to get another baby sword and grow it out.

8O I tried a Melon Sword in a 40 g. Not long and I had a tankful of melon. The other plants were starving for nurients and light. It made a great addition to the compost pile. The fish thanked me for it as well.

I have a Marble Queen Sword that is beautiful (sorry can't recall the sci name). Mine only needs a prunning about once a month.

Back
Top Bottom