Amazon sword turning red??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjd2006

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I have Amazon sword that is growing HUGE leaves and they are turning red. The newer leaves towards the bottom are bright green. Anyone know why this is ?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460060689.268273.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Whatever it is it's strange. The one leaf turned completely red and is back to green. It's really strange.

I have the same plant only mine are starting out red then turning green. I think this is a characteristic of these plants but I'm going to be dosing ferts as of tomorrow so will let you know if this alters the colour in any way.

I had to back off my fertilizers big time. They were killing my red cherry shrimp.

Where'd you get the plant? How long has it been in your tank? Distortion would lead me to belive it's not healthy growth. Wheaties?? Worked for Jordan..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plant came from the pet store tagged as an Amazon sword. The leaf is turning back green. It's very strange. The leaves are about 4x bigger than they were two weeks ago. In fact the whole plant is about 4x bigger than it was two weeks ago but so is everything in that tank.

I also have to mention I absolutely hate this plant. I was looking at it tonight and it's leaves are getting so large that I am not even sure what I'm going to do with it.

That tank is a 60 gallon tall that is basically being used to hold all the plants I've either ordered or found for 50% off at Petsmart. I'm buying another Co2 tank to put on my other 55 gallon once I get paid but once again that "Amazon sword" is either going to be cut back big time or thrown out lol

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460095903.368797.jpg

Is it the same as this plants in the back left corner? You can see the new leaf coming up a bit crinkled and brown. I thought this was a dying leaf but it is straightening and turning green. Still think it needs more nutrients. I've just added some macros today so will see how future leaves appear and will get a better picture later.

Cali, I don't think so. Yours actually looks way more sword like than mine. Your leaves are more spade like and are all a nice size. My leaves are growing way too fast and are almost 6inches wide :-(

Cali, I don't think so. Yours actually looks way more sword like than mine. Your leaves are more spade like and are all a nice size. My leaves are growing way too fast and are almost 6inches wide :-(

There are many different varieties of this plants. Perhaps it is echinodorus barthii which displays the characteristic you describe. Yours could just be getting used to life underwater.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460115250.683882.jpg

As you can see the leaves are shorter and more like a typical sword.

When I say shorter I mean the stalk leading to the leaf. Also this example has probably everything it needs to look this good.

The leaves got so huge that I cut off 4 of them and just left the small leaves on the plant. It was taking over!

Sounds like my red flame sword and my oriental sword. Both display new growth in red phase which are longer and progress to spade style leaves while turning brown then green. They are also very large plants, taking up a good section of my 40b. I had to get rid of my oriental sword after its daughter plants flowered and it tripled in size. I cut my red flame in half and it provides hiding for my juvenile apisto.

Sounds like my red flame sword and my oriental sword. Both display new growth in red phase which are longer and progress to spade style leaves while turning brown then green. They are also very large plants, taking up a good section of my 40b. I had to get rid of my oriental sword after its daughter plants flowered and it tripled in size. I cut my red flame in half and it provides hiding for my juvenile apisto.

Mine shot up a stalk in the last two days that looks like it's about to flower too lol. It's absolutely insane.

You can see mine here in the right corner. The new reddy/brown leaves already look bigger than the ones I bought it with. I'm not taking this plant out though. This one alone cost me $24 in US money. It lives or I quit the hobby lol.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460441599.540811.jpg

Back
Top Bottom