amazon sword, UP not out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
if I cut all (most of all) the leaves off my big sword, will it regrow new leaves that grow up, rather then spread out horizonatly, leaving the center of the plant 'bald'

I think it's "height" got stunted as it spent about 6 months as a new plant in a 10 gallon tank, where it couldn't grow very tall ... it has all new leaves now (that was over a year ago in the 10 gal), but it still grows them out along the floor rather than up into the water

could this just be trait of whatever speices of sword I have, or due to too much current in the tank, or what?

I have a radican sword I recently moved from a 10 gallon. It is fairly short rather than tall, but it looks like it is starting to fill out. Make sure your plant is not in the current of a filter, I had that problem a little while ago where the plant grew lopsided.

One thing I did for a short time that I forgot to mention in the first post, I used a small lava rock that was O shaped with a big hole in the middle and turned it on its side, then had an amazon sword going through the middle. The ring of lava rock looked pretty cool around the base of the plant, and it also seemed to train it to grow straight and tall, because it kept the stems together firmly, although not a squeeze. This was only up for a week or two before my crayfish consumed the entire plant.

hrmm ... I just moved it from mid to back in my tank, hoping it would avoid the spraybar more (which runs the entire 12" width of my take)

I thought about tying the leaves into a loose bunch with some monofilament but figured that would look dumb, since the leaves are growing out of the sides and not the top

this is a 'mother' plant anyway, it created about 12 daughters, 5 of which I saved and have potted in clay right now to build roots ... perhaps I'll just wait for one of them to grow a bit more and then I'll replace mom with the kid

Back
Top Bottom