Amazon Sword... What do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jrodiohead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 Amazon Sword plants with about 12-13 inch blades (not sure which species exactly). I recently did a complete substrate change. I took my swords out and placed their roots in a glass with their leafs exposed to the air; which I read is okay. Well, about an hour and a half later a lot of blades started to shrivel. I quickly finished the substrate change and replanted them. Once they became rehydrated, they looked translucent, like they were nutrient deficient. About a week later they're are starting to turn green again. Can this happen? I know they don't have a self healing mechanism so I'm not sure what's happening. Should I trim or let them grow?! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415202522.617082.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't think your supposed to let them completely dry out?? May he wrong.. did you add root tabs? If they look to be healing than just leave them be. If they melt than trim out affected leaves

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have one in similar shape. I wouldn't trim mine until it's dead, because that leaf may still hold nutrients.

But that's my $.02, and that and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee.

Yes, they have root tabs. I guess I'm at a crossroads because some were completely translucent from stem to tip and now they're slowly becoming fuller and greener. I just don't know if the parts of the blade were more affected by drying. Maybe there is no definitive answer. I'm reluctant on trimming because I don't see any obvious signs of decay and like I said the majority of the leafs were affected in some way. Have you guys experienced leafs coming back from translucency?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom