amazon swords are not growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigzmey

Aquarium Advice Activist
All my plants are putting out new leaves except a couple of Echinodorus parviflorus. I have planted them ~month ago with fluorish root tabs next to each. Each of them have a few leaves of different sizes from old to new. All leaves look fine, no yellowing, wholes, etc. They just not growing. I doze fluorish and potassium on weekly basis. All other plants grow new leaves, even Java ferns manage to get a few new leaves out. But Echinodorus parviflorus just sitting there.

Water: dGH=14, dKH=4, pH 7.9, amm=0, nitrites=0, nitrates=2.5

My tank: 30 gal FW community planted, 2 x AC-30, 2 x 36" 25w (50w total) fluorescent lights 6500K and 8000K, substrate: 1.5" fluorite bottom, 1.5" Caribsea peace river top
Fish: 3 albino corries, 5 fancy guppies, 4 Endler's livebearers

Plants: Sagittaria platyphylla, Hygrophila difformis, Hygrophila angustifolia, Bacopa australis, Bacopa caroliniana, Bacopa Monnieri, Echinodorus parviflorus, Echinodorus bleheri, Java Fern

I don't know why but had the same problem with my sword for the longest time. I've had it for around 2 years now and I think it is just to the point of getting "large." I also use root tabs.

I wish I could help and give some more advice. From my experience though the swords seem to be on the slow growing side...

If the plant has formed a corm on the bottom, it will stunt it's growth. The solution is to remove the corm, and replant. This will often cause new growth. The corm can be planted to from one or more new plants.

If the plant has formed a corm on the bottom, it will stunt it's growth. The solution is to remove the corm, and replant. This will often cause new growth. The corm can be planted to from one or more new plants.

Thanks! I will try it.

Back
Top Bottom