Amazon swords please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry this is important and I don't want to make another thread. If my nitrate levels might be a problem what should I keep them at? Would about 6ppm be a good mark?

Banana mouse said:
I'm sorry this is important and I don't want to make another thread. If my nitrate levels might be a problem what should I keep them at? Would about 6ppm be a good mark?

No no... ask away! That's about the lowest you'll want to have your nitrates for a planted tank. 10-20 is about ideal.

I have ottos in the tank, will they be okay with this change in water?

Btw I changed the light I now got 'life glo' it's made by 'glo' and it's 6700 K the guys at the shops said that will do fine and i explained my situation and they recommend I got 'jbl 7 + 13 balls'

You're ottos will be just fine. I'm a big fan of the Hagen life glo bulbs. Great choice. I haven't tried using the jbl 7+13 balls but I'm definitely hoping I'll find some! Let us know how it goes.

I hope so, iv only got 5 ottos and 7 tiger barbs so hopefully it happens over a few weeks so they can adjust. Lol thank you it's the only brand they had :p definitely I just hope my nitrate goes up quickly but safely

Otos get a bad reputation for being sensitive because of how fragile they are with respect to importing. Most otos you get are in poor health when they arrive and die because of that rather than due to some intrinsic sensitivity. In my experience and that of others that I've spoken to, otos are actually pretty hardy once they get settled in. Mine have weathered 100+ ppm nitrate spikes without casualty.

aqua_chem said:
Otos get a bad reputation for being sensitive because of how fragile they are with respect to importing. Most otos you get are in poor health when they arrive and die because of that rather than due to some intrinsic sensitivity. In my experience and that of others that I've spoken to, otos are actually pretty hardy once they get settled in. Mine have weathered 100+ ppm nitrate spikes without casualty.

The fact that you just said that has pretty much changed my option on them, but I just treat all my fish like sensitive fish (keeping the best water I can, stocking correctly etc etc...) when would you say they are settled in? Iv had them for 2 weeks

4 weeks usually means you're in the clear, assuming they're eating well. Treating all your fish like sensitive fish is can be a pain, but it's a good policy.

There eating really well, after a day they had eaten about 25% of the algae in my tank. It's a pain yeah it can be but it's fun :)

Back
Top Bottom