Ambulia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, my Co2 has been running and my plants have been growing just fine. Only problem I've noticed (besides overgrowth) is my Ambulia - they grow fast and I had to prune, but the leaves have started browning at the tips. Any thoughts?

20gal
65W
Pressurized Co2 30-40ppm
Regular dosing of Trace, K (phosphate and nitrate as needed)
Weekly PWC - 45%

Indeed, this is one plant that is better when you prune them before they reach the higher levels of the tank as I have seen the same thing, they look absolutely horrid when the tips discolor.

Jchillin said:
Indeed, this is one plant that is better when you prune them before they reach the higher levels of the tank as I have seen the same thing, they look absolutely horrid when the tips discolor.

I have to say that this plant looks very nice when the tips get close to the surface. They turn a nice pink color like WaterPond has said.

tank75(12).JPG

rkilling1 said:
Jchillin said:

I have to say that this plant looks very nice when the tips get close to the surface. They turn a nice pink color like WaterPond has said.

tank75(12).JPG

I'm with RK on this one.........The pink tips are my favorite thing about this plant.

9.jpg

PrettyFishies said:
Don't you cut it when it reaches the surface?

This plant grows sooo fast that there are times that you just have to let it grow. I had to trim it twice a week to keep it from hitting the surface.

Some species you want to grow along the surface. They tend to propagate faster this way.

Some species you do NOT want to hit the surface. These have thick stems and once they break the surface, they start putting all their energy into Emerged growth and will shed it's leaves in the water.

GlitcH said:
rkilling1 said:
Jchillin said:

tank75(12).JPG

I'm with RK on this one.........The pink tips are my favorite thing about this plant.

9.jpg

I wasn't clear. What I meant was, after the pink episode, mine will start turning brown as it nears the surface. It looks positively horrible at that point. :shock:

hmmm.........guess i've been lucky so far........no brown for me........just pink.

How long between brown and pink for you JC?

How long between brown and pink for you JC?

It depends on where the plant is in relation to the light. As it grows closer, it starts to brown.

Bill,

i've grown it in lower light than you have on your tank and i still get pink. weird... I've never had brown.

Guess you missed my earlier statement. It gets pink, then as the plant grows higher, turns brown.

Back
Top Bottom