An Experiment with Emersed Growth - New Pics 5/12/2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very Nice! I was thinking of using the PVC when I build mine again but I was going to make an entire sealed square out of it. Then I can control the humidity and add short pieces of the PVC coming out the sides for a little circulation.

I think you idea of using pots is a good one. Also, if you don't mind a little update, what is the soil you finally decided to use? I remember you saying Turface MVP but it kinda looks like regular potting soil.

I'm still using Turface MVP despite the appearances.

I'm planning to do some experiments for growing Black Water Crypts which would involve using alternative substrates, but haven't started yet. I'm also thinking about trying a finer mix for the HC to see if I can get it growing better, also not started yet.

Hi Joy,
I read somewhere that potting soil makes a fine substrate for growing HC emmersed. Let me know if you want to try some. I've got huge bags of miracle grow potting soil. We must get this HC farm going! I have no ulterior motive behind this whatsoever! ;)

If this doesn't work, then it must be the sunlight levels. Good thing summer is coming!

Here's an update on the Emersed Setup. As you can see, the original crypts are filling in quite nicely. No sign of flowers yet, unfortunately.

Attachments

• full20070512_160.jpg
    full20070512_160.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 34
Any signs of them producing runners? It looks really nice, can't wait to get mine started. Maybe it will take a little time for them to get root bound or a temperature change to get them to flower.

I was also thinking that why couldn't you still use something like Eco Comlete in an emersed setup? Should have good drainage but also hold a lot of moisture.

How high are you keeping the water in the container?

The crypts that have been in this setup for awhile are sending out baby plants like mad, which is part of the reason their containers are starting to fill up not just that the existing plants are gettin larger. It'll definately still be awhile before they're root bound though.

You could definately use EcoComplete for an emersed setup if you want. I'd probably go with a less expensive option unless you already have some extra on had though.

The water is level with the top of the Turface as a whole. As a result the water is slightly below or above the Turface depending on how well each pot is filled.

I've got some extra seed starting trays on hand, and before long I'm going to see about putting together a soil/peat moss/sand mix to see if the HC does any better than it's been doing with the Turface. The current growth is quite healthy, just not very thick or fast. Of course the sparceness could simply be do the current lighting as well.

The best HC growth I saw was with Onyx Black sand. They stuff just grew like there was no tomorrow. I don't know anythng about it though whether it has special properties or nutrients but it worked really well.

I really haven't been focusing on this lately but the plants are still doing well. I really should get around to pulling it out and taking some more pictures.

Back
Top Bottom