Anacharis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just did a 60% water change and gravel vac. (I accidentally sucked up about 25% of my plant tablets, now in powder form. I think the plants will be fine without the fertilizer for now though) I tied each and every plant with tweed (string proved to be a little too slippery and loose) and kept the strings long. I used the long ends of the string left as anchors. I kept the string tied to the plants as one end long and one end short. I can see a little bit of the string sticking out of the gravel, but less than I expected! I would encourage planting anacharis this way, it worked well for me. Some quick info for anyone who wants to copy my way of planting these:

Time taken: +/- 1 1/2 hrs
Effort needed: 3 (1-10 scale, 1 easy, 10 hard)
Items used:
-anacharis plant
-tweed
-scissors
-hands

*NOTE*: instead of tying each plant to its own string, it's possible to do larger bunches. My largest bunch was 2 stems, because I wanted a more open look to it. A very pretty plant, will be posting pics soon!

**CAUTION: be careful when tying plants! The problem is not tying too tight, but breaking the ends off in the process of tying!
*caution: your arms are going to get wet in the process of 'anchoring' the plants, so have a towel ready.

This worked out really well, and I plan on using it for any future stems that I break off to be new plants. I promote this way of doing this!

I have several anacharis and I float most of them. They seem to move down when the lights are off and up when they're on. All of mine grow much better when floating in my low-tech set up. The hatchets and red eyed love them.

I have three tanks, 10g with cfl lighting, 20g long with one T5ho bulb, and a 55g with one T5HO bulb and only my 10g does the anachris grow well. I also use PPS Pro dossing regeime.

I should have said that as well. I also dose Flourish 2-3 times per week, and can definitely tell when I don't.

Aspenser, thanks............my Nitrate level won't go below 40ppm! Thought the plants might help.....just planted yesterday! Was hoping they where a Nitrate sponge!

I don't think they really help much with nitrates unless there are a ton of them ^^

Aspenser, thanks............my Nitrate level won't go below 40ppm! Thought the plants might help.....just planted yesterday! Was hoping they where a Nitrate sponge!
No such luck. My endler tank which is the tank it does will, I still do a 50% water change every three days to get NitrAtes below 20. My water has none but I have lots of endlers and shrimp.

It sounds like your tank is still cycling, are they new?

I hate to admit this, but the string as an anchor was a bad idea. It made the part the string was tied around rot. If you copied me, then take the strings off now! I'm sorry if I caused anyone trouble!

Back
Top Bottom