Anacharis and excel??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guggiboy123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I was reading about this plant on another forum and I saw that supposibly excel melts and kills this plant is this true? If so please tell me cause I just got some of this plant and I'm dosing with excel and I really don't want it all to die. Please help!

Dosing Excel in the recommended dosage is fine, it's a source of carbon for the plants. Where the plants melt and die is when you dose way too much, or if you used it as a plant dip and had the dosage too high and dipped in for too long. Just dose as recommended and you will be just fine.

^^ I don't think that's entirely true, exel is just a liquid carbon that SOME plants can use. From what my fish store told me basically some plants are not compatible so they die cause of lack of co2.

I can sorta back this up because I dose a with exel along with pressurized co2 mostly just to keep some algae away, but My none compatible plants are growing awesome.

There's people on both sides of this topic but it works for me, try some DIY co2 to keep your none compatible plants going and see how it works for ya.

I've heard that anacharis will die. Other plants that may wilt include egeris, riccia, vals. I've only read this online can't verify by experience

I think they will be okay with recommend dosing as long as you have co2 getting injecting as we'll. but with just exel they will die.

Slowly acclimating the plants to excel may be key.not doing a full dosage for a week or so then (slowly) bump it up to a full dose may work.

Slowly acclimating the plants to excel may be key.not doing a full dosage for a week or so then (slowly) bump it up to a full dose may work.

Ok thanks everyone I'm doing it every other day and I only bought it because my lfs said that's what they dosed their tanks with

You should use it everyday but just half amounts. Your plants need carbon when ever the lights come on.

There are indeed many plants sensitive to liquid carbons such as Excel. Anacharis is indeed one such plant.

Liquid carbons are used daily as they only stay in solution between 12-24 hours before being totally broken down. Since I am and have been a big user of only liquid carbon and no CO2 for a very long time I have found it varies with each individual tanks chemistry as to whether certain plants can be desenitized to using liquid carbon. I have a large stand of Corkscrew Vals for over a year in the 220g that gets a high dose of liquid carbon daily and I've never had any melting issues, yet others have thiers melts. The best way IMO is to start dosing 1/4 the amount of daily liquid carbon, do for 2 weeks and see if there is any change in the plants, if not go up to 1/2 dose, and continue until you reach full daily strength. If at some point the plant begins to show signs of melting then back off the amount to the dose you found worked.

There are indeed many plants sensitive to liquid carbons such as Excel. Anacharis is indeed one such plant.

Liquid carbons are used daily as they only stay in solution between 12-24 hours before being totally broken down. Since I am and have been a big user of only liquid carbon and no CO2 for a very long time I have found it varies with each individual tanks chemistry as to whether certain plants can be desenitized to using liquid carbon. I have a large stand of Corkscrew Vals for over a year in the 220g that gets a high dose of liquid carbon daily and I've never had any melting issues, yet others have thiers melts. The best way IMO is to start dosing 1/4 the amount of daily liquid carbon, do for 2 weeks and see if there is any change in the plants, if not go up to 1/2 dose, and continue until you reach full daily strength. If at some point the plant begins to show signs of melting then back off the amount to the dose you found worked.

Ok thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom