Anacharis Dying..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gundy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well the past couple of days one of the bunches of Anacharis in my barb take has started to look grim. Flaky leaves, and turning pale - losing the green color.

Its a 10gal, with sand substrate. I have two bunches rubberbanded together - one around a small cave ( rubberbanded to the cave ) and then another bunch rubberbanded to abunch of pieces and shoved in the sand. Lighting is two fluorescent bulbs - 15watt x 2 . Usually about 8 hours day of light, maybe more.

The bunch rubberbanded together and planted in the sand is whats dying. The other bunch looks fine around the cave, and is growing more. The tank has been setup for a month or two now and haven't had any problem with this stuff growing until now. Whats odd is in my other 10g crayfish tank with a banded bunch of anacharis the same way, and is growing unstoppable - same lighting and everything.

Wasn't sure if this belonged in the planted section or not, considering its not a purely planted tank.

Advice is appreciated!

I moved this to planted.

Is the whole plant having problems or is it the bottom? Do you add anything to the tank? How old are the bulbs?

Thanks for the move. Haven't added anything, and its pretty much all the way up the plant that is losing color. Bulbs are as old as the tank - month or two, not very old at all. Had them in when I first started my cycle.

Water conditions are in check, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 10-20 Nitrate.

Every week (7 days), maybe to often? I make a habit to change it every thursday. My barbs are poo factories and on the black sand it shows up and starts to get pretty messy by the end of the week.

I don't believe that it is accurate to say that carbon kills this plant or any other for that matter. There are a number of plants that do not do well with the use of Excel for a carbon source however.

Carbon is a necessary element for plant growth in general.

SparKy697 said:
I don't believe that it is accurate to say that carbon kills this plant or any other for that matter. There are a number of plants that do not do well with the use of Excel for a carbon source however.

Carbon is a necessary element for plant growth in general.

Sparky697
is correct I didnt mean carbon in general I ment the carbon source that flourish excel presents, sorry for the miss understanding.
:(

It seems as its getting worse.. Weird thing is, in my other 10 gallon tank with the exact same setup - the anacharis is blooming galore.

It's getting so bad the dead leaves and stems are getting stuck all over the intake for my filter and slowing the flow. I just double checked the water parameters and again they are same as above.

I am treating for ich at the moment with the temperature only treatment, near the end of it. Could this affect the plant, I was told it wouldn't?

I believe that Anacharis does prefer cooler water and does well in Coldwater Setups, as a result high temperatures could easily be affecting it adversely.

Back
Top Bottom