Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anacharis melting! Help!

I have a bunch if anacharis floating in a breeder box (ready to hold my female when she decides to give birth...because she's taking forever) and a layer of what looks like leaf decay is on the bottom of it. Can anyone explain this and tell me how to prevent it? I thank in advance!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

And also another question, will the decay bother the fry or will they eat it? And I was planning on getting flourish comprehensive, will it combat the decay?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are your temps ? Anacharis are often a cool water plant.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought they were warm water? It's 78į in my tank. That explains why the new growth is doing better than the original plants! It's probly cuz they adapted to the warm water because they were never moved from cold to warm! So I guess I'll just have to get rid of the old plants once I have enough new ones, huh?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some plants melt during the acclimation to your tank, it's not a big deal. Anacharis grows like mad so just pinch off the new growth and toss the old melting stuff so it doesn't foul your water.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alrighty I'll do that. Look! I have baby guppies playing in the anacharis! You gotta admit that they're extremely tiny!!! (I'll pinch off the dead parts right now) !!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

In my personal experience with Anacharis, the stems I originally recieved melted and were very dark in color, but they grew bright green off shoots that I cut off and replanted, and now those off shoots are still really nicely colored and are growing very quickly. I'm hoping they grow off shoots as well so I can just keep propagating.

But yes, Anacharis is technically a cold water plant, but as long as you don't go above 78 degrees they should be alright. Your stems look a lot better than my original ones did though!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha well it's good that they look good! You can cut the stem in half, that works just fine (I've done it multiple times, it's worked out great for me) anacharis is a fun plant, great for fry to hide in to! And now I have fry to hide in it! Yaaaay!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia258 View Post
Haha well it's good that they look good! You can cut the stem in half, that works just fine (I've done it multiple times, it's worked out great for me) anacharis is a fun plant, great for fry to hide in to! And now I have fry to hide in it! Yaaaay!!!
Now that you mention that, I actually have a question, when you cut the stem in half and replant the top part, does the bottom part develop that "bushy" tip that the top has, or does it just grow as it is and the tip remains just how it looked when it was cut?

Sorry if that was a little confusing, I'll clarify if you need me too
Old 03-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will either continue normal growth straight up or it will grow multiple juvenile stems out of the cut off part, and I understood the question just fine

Tags
anacharis

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com