anacharis not growing roots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got anacharis in a 30 gal. hex, and every week many of them just float up to the top. I don't think it's dead ones, but the ones that float up never have any roots on them. My fish rarely eat much of the plants. I don't really see anything picking at them, just some cories that play in the leaves.

I'm dosing just a little Flourish and Flourish Potassium in there. I was doing 3 mL Flourish and 22 mL Potassium, but the plants started turning brown, so I've started doing just 1 mL Flourish and 9 mL Potassium.

Substrate is Eco-Complete with some gravel on top.

When I have moved the plants around in the substrate, I notice very few of them have any significant roots, and I've had the plants in there for several months.

The way I was planting them was to take about 5 stems, wrap a twist-tie around it, then put one of those fake lead anchors around it and plant it in the substrate. I think maybe I was getting the twist-ties on too tight to try and keep them from floating away.

So about 2 weeks ago, I went and got rid of what was left of the anacharis, and I bought 5 new bunches and just planted them the way they were with just a small rubberband around the bottom. They seem to be rooting in better, but about 1/4 of all the plants have floated up to the top and don't have roots.

So, should I bunch together the ones that have floated up and replant them? Is there any chance of them growing roots and staying down?

I was thinking of just getting rid of all the plants that float to the top, then just buying a couple new bunches of anacharis. It's only about $2 per bunch, so the cost isn't a problem.

I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if the anacharis will eventually have good roots anchoring all the plants, or if this will be a continuing problem.

what is the lighting? (not that lighting is a problem cause my anarchis grew a jungle in my 29gall with 20watts..... LOL) but ya..I dont know why cause I couldnt get my anarchis to STOP growing... but mine never rooted either...

Instead of wrapping rubberbands and plantweights around the bottom, try planting the bottoms at an angle. Having anything wrapped at all tightly around the bottoms will cause the problems that you described. By planting the stems at an angle they will hold in the substrate and it is easier for them to stay in place.

Back
Top Bottom