anacharis question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 2 bunches of anacharis from my lfs last saturday and i am noticing some of the stems are light green and bending over. My light isn't that great its just a single t8 buld on my 29 gallon tank. Anacharis is a low light plant so id figure it would be fine till i get my diy lights working. Is the anacharis melting?

I am newer to planted tanks but my anacharis is a lighter green on every inch of newer growth. All of the darker ones are the original stem I planted or have trimmed. I think it's a new growth thing but I'm not sure.

If it were melting the stems would be turning transparant and disintegrating.

How long have the pants been in the tank? A 29g with a single T8 is certainly at the bottom ranges of low light in my opinion.

Cant get a good pic and the plants have been in there for a week. Some of the stems are getting pale green and the leaves are getting transparent and falling off. I have a t5 buld on it now along with the t8. still working on getting my lights running. I have a two t5 light fixture with aqueon daylight bulbs 6700 lumes. But only have one of the bulbs going right now.

Now that sound more like the plant is melting to me. You don't happen to use Excel do you? That is one of the plants that usually melts when you use Excel.

no i dose api leaf zone every other day. So what can i do to my plants? any hope for a melting plant?

Honestly I've never mess with anacharis except in my ponds. If it was a crypt you'd leave it in because after it melts it usually grows back. But I'm thinking if it's new and with no roots it's just going to melt away. Why don't you try cutting any good tops off and float them for quite some time to see if they will grow and possibly get some roots.

Honestly I've never mess with anacharis except in my ponds. If it was a crypt you'd leave it in because after it melts it usually grows back. But I'm thinking if it's new and with no roots it's just going to melt away. Why don't you try cutting any good tops off and float them for quite some time to see if they will grow and possibly get some roots.

I agree....I had same issue and did exactly that...cut the good and let them float close to light and now I have alot of roots....I also use excel and it does not melt mine actually mine have gotten a real pretty deep dark green and roots growing everywhere on what stem is left....so you might try

oh is that what you were suppose to do? When i got them they didnt have roots just a bare stem. So what i did was what i saw on a youtube video. I cleaned the plants remove the bottom leaves up to an inch then placed in the substrate. I figured they'd grow roots like that.

oh is that what you were suppose to do? When i got them they didnt have roots just a bare stem. So what i did was what i saw on a youtube video. I cleaned the plants remove the bottom leaves up to an inch then placed in the substrate. I figured they'd grow roots like that.

Actually that is the correct way to plant stem plants but when they start to melt and have no roots the only way to try to save them is cut the bad away and try floating them. You did it right it's just the plant not cooperating.

Last edited:

Yes I did the same with the same result as you...thats when I broke off bad and kept good, floated till got roots, planted, use excel, and plant is definitely happy

Anacharis is a super low maintenance plant. It might just be acclimating to your water. Just take the bad stuff off as mentioned and leave it be. I have a single t8 on my tank, don't dose ferts and my anacharis grows like weeds. Unless the stem gets mushy and nasty, you should be ok. Also, i think you are dosing too much leaf zone. If you keep adding it at that rate, you are going to end up with a lot of algae.

Back
Top Bottom