Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2003, 12:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Anachris going brown

Can anyone suggest how I can help my Anachris plants come back to life. Alot of the leaves are turning brown. What food do you suggest. How do I provide CO2 without spending hella cash. It's only a 2.5 gallon tank, so I don't see the need for a CO2 tank and set up, it wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2003, 01:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Hagen makes a CO2 system that costs around $30 in my lfs (I've seen them online for $20, but unless you are spending a ton of money, the shipping charges kill you). It uses yeast and sugar to inject CO2. I would suggest a diy system, but mine is giving mixed results and I'm seriously considering switching to the Hagen.

Any plant food is ok IMO.

Are you checking the water parameters and making sure they match the requirements for the plant? i.e. what is the pH and gH?

Old 06-10-2003, 02:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yup everything matches what the plants need. I thought I saw some kind of CO2 Pellets that you can drop in the water, though I'm probably mistaken. Where could I find instructions on how to make a DIY system. I would prefer to do it that way, cuz I like constructing things.

Old 06-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

anacharis doesn't do well with CO2 imho, it grows so fast that it becomes thin and starts putting roots out all over the place - of course, this is also with medium high light

i've had better luck growing it at around 1.5 wpg (fluorescent), grows much slower and fuller

I don't think you should add any fertilizer for it, it should do fine with just water changes and fish mulm ... if your water is very short on iron, maybe some "root tabs+ iron" in your gravel will help

how much light are you using, and what kind is it? ... 2.5 gal probably has a small 7 or 10 watt incandescent tube light inside the hood? ... incandescents aren't good for growing plants

for plans on diy co2, just use google, type diy co2 and you'll get plenty of help, but again, I don't think co2 is your problem
Old 06-10-2003, 04:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
http://www.netpets.org/fish/reference/freshref/co2.html is the one I used--with two differences. The site suggested putting a pin hole in the bottle. Do not do this! The pressure will never build up enough to put bubbles in your tank. I connected two bottles together and switch one out per week.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com